Owncloud storage not connected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Prince

Explorer
Hi, I have a strange problem with owncloud.
I used, without problems, a storage to connect some folders from the "home folder" of my NAS to the Owncloud media folder.
For a week the folders and files inside owncloud no longer updated.

I tried to recreate storage but nothing has changed, however, the folders inside owncloud jail (in media/MyAccount/files) appear to be updated but from my Web Owncloud profile they doesn't appear.

The storage is configured as follows:
- File-Source: /mnt/MyNAS/ext_folder
- File-Destination: /media/int_folder

TbV2PEl.png
BSIMkkQ.png
2DkNuGh.png

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Probably better off asking the Owncloud community since the issue is clearly with "their stuff".

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, now that you ask the question I'm not sure you explained well enough for my feeble brain to understand.

You cannot just copy files into the Owncloud jail (or inject them). Owncloud keeps its own database of file metadata and uses that to make everything work. So if you go playing with the files inside the jail that's for your own instance of Owncloud, you'll screw up Owncloud in unrecoverable ways.

My own Owncloud jail has no external storage mapped to it. Why? Because there's no reason to. Any reason that you'd want to map external storage to the jail/plugin would involve breaking said database in Owncloud.

So asuming that you are making sense to me and you've tried to force the update of the files yourself by replacing the old copies yourself, the fix is to destroy and recreate the jail, uninstall and inreinstall the owncloud clients on your desktop(s), and then resync all of the data with the server, which will/should repopulate all of your data to all of your clients.

The bottom line is that the only way you can add and/or modify files is by connecting to Owncloud via the client or webGUI and uploading them that way. Trying to just throw them in the jail, point Owncloud to the folder(s) and hoping it will all work won't do anything and could potentially delete your files.

Mr Prince

Explorer
Damn, I didn't know that Owncloud keeps its own database of file metadata and uses that to make everything work. I thought it work as transmission or plex where the external storage mapped work fine!!

The reason why I'd like this storage mapping is to manage my external file through the iOS, Android apps (and also Win and MAC) from everywhere I want!!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Damn, I didn't know that Owncloud keeps its own database of file metadata and uses that to make everything work. I thought it work as transmission or plex where the external storage mapped work fine!!

The reason why I'd like this storage mapping is to manage my external file through the iOS, Android apps (and also Win and MAC) from everywhere I want!!
Try sync thing instead.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
What does it mean? Can you explain better how is "sync" or how configure the external storage IN owncloud?
Thanks
"syncthing"

It is different from owncloud. It all depends on what you need from this syncing option.

Mr Prince

Explorer
I read all about OwnCloud external storage support and I think it could be a good solution to my needs.
But to set it I think I need to change the permission folder because if I set the configuration path as /mnt/ I obtain the green light but there isn't any file inside it; and if I set the path as /mnt/mynas/Ale/ I obtain red light and it doesn't work.

rwg1QIk.png

So is a permission problem? How should I set it?
777 for mnt, mynas and Ale? Is there any risk of corruption all the system?

Thanks

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I read all about OwnCloud external storage support and I think it could be a good solution to my needs.
But to set it I think I need to change the permission folder because if I set the configuration path as /mnt/ I obtain the green light but there isn't any file inside it; and if I set the path as /mnt/mynas/Ale/ I obtain red light and it doesn't work.

rwg1QIk.png

So is a permission problem? How should I set it?
777 for mnt, mynas and Ale? Is there any risk of corruption all the system?

Thanks
owncloud runs as the 'www' user.
Code:
chown -R www:www /mnt

And if /mnt is actually a dataset mounted into your jail (for sharing or snapshoting purposes) you should set that up before running the above command.

Mr Prince

Explorer
owncloud runs as the 'www' user.
Code:
chown -R www:www /mnt

And if /mnt is actually a dataset mounted into your jail (for sharing or snapshoting purposes) you should set that up before running the above command.

I'm not an expert but if i change the owner and group to all my /mnt with inside all my file, my folders and the jail folder in WWW I won't risk to compromise all the system?

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I'm not an expert but if i change the owner and group to all my /mnt with inside all my file, my folders and the jail folder in WWW I won't risk to compromise all the system?
no, but make sure you run that while your logged into the jail

Mr Prince

Explorer
Nothing to do it doesn't work. Green lamp in admin setting for /mnt but from the WebGUI local foder it says "here you don't have permission to create and upload file." :mad:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Nothing to do it doesn't work. Green lamp in admin setting for /mnt but from the WebGUI local foder it says "here you don't have permission to create and upload file." :mad:
can you show the out put of "ls -l /" and "ls -l /mnt"
also a screenshot of your owncloud external mount settings.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Your /mnt is empty. And /mnt isn't an external storage.....I'm not sure what you're doing at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.