Owncloud Permission Issue....Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi FreeNas experts.

I am new to FreeNas and i have everything set up just the way i like it. Finally I am trying to set up Owncloud on my FreeNas which will send some files to several mobile devices.

Bit of information on the setup.
Running FreeNas 9.3 with Owncloud 8.1.
Running Owncloud external storage.
Have created groups and users within the Jail and FreeNas to ensure all permissions are replicated.
Allusers group which contains all users for Jails have full permission on data set.
Owncloud can see MNT point and can browse
Owncloud can send files from Data set OK
Owncloud client cant sent updates to FreeNas server because it says the server is read only
I cant delete the folder in Owncloud server as it says I dont have permission to.

The problem I face is that Owncloud wont allow clients to upload changes to my data folder which renders this setup useless, has anyone got any idea how to fix, im out of ideas...

Thanks all!

Jamie

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
just to clarify your issue is only related to the external storage mountpoint? what type of mountpoint is it? (maybe a screenshot would help)
can you also show the output of "ls -l /mnt/path/to/mountpoint"

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I, personally, don't recommend external mountpoints with owncloud. You can't just copy files into the folders where owncloud does it's work and expect everything to be okay. Owncloud keeps its own internal database, so adding/removing stuff yourself really confuses owncloud.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
OC is supposed to assume that these external mountpoints can have file modifications not through OC. but, like @cyberjock said, I don't know how well OC handles these changes, especially when you start combining in generating file previews and/or encryption.

I find it simpler to just have the entire directory OC uses be a mounted dataset I can snapshot and backup.

if you're trying to access dropbox/Google drive files I guess there's a need for external mountpoints, but it sorta defeats the purpose of using OC.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I tried it with external mountpoints and copied stuff to the OC server using CIFS since it was faster than transferring 20GB+ over Owncloud. It fell flat on its face because Owncloud was so horribly confused.

Now I keep the OC in its own jail. I snapshot the entire jail and I can rollback anytime I need. ;)

I take the stance that the only time you should "need" to access the files on the OC server outside of the OC webGUI and the OC clients are if you are trying to recover files from a snapshot or restore files you deleted. In both cases you'll be doing more detailed recovery and so it's less crucial that it be internal/external mountpoints. ;)

Hi All, thanks for your comments. It seems the issue is resolved now. I am not having the problem anymore after reinstalling Owncloud fresh and re-setting it up. I will report back if it happens again. Thanks all!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.