ownCloud NTFS storage permission issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obara

Cadet
I have an ownCloud jail that's running ownCloud 8.0.4, MariaDB 10.0 and lighttpd. I added a storage type of NTFS, through the FreeNas GUI, to the jail. I mounted the storage to /mnt/owncloud_data/. I mapped the data directory in the ownCloud installation to the mounted storage. ownCloud is giving the following error.

Data directory (/mnt/owncloud_data) is readable by other users
Please change the permissions to 0770 so that the directory cannot be listed by other users.

This isn't an uncommon event and I've seen posts to fix this through the /etc/fstab file. I've looked in this file and it's empty. Since FreeNas has mounted the storage into the jail I don't think the /etc/fstab is getting filled in like it would with a normal mount.

How do I fix the NTFS permissions so that the ownCloud jail has the 0770 permissions it needs?

Obara

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, considering that NTFS partitions shouldn't be used long term in FreeNAS, are imported read-only by FreeNAS by default, and you shouldn't be mounting NTFS file system in a jail (it is an unsupported configuration) I'm not sure what the answers to your questions are.

I think it's more appropriate to not do what you are doing because I don't see how this can end well for you and your data in the long-term.

Obara

Cadet
I probably misspoke. When I created my data set in FreeNas I set it up as a Windows share. I assumed that this would be NTFS. I set up FreeNas with CIFS to serve the Windows share. I don't know if this make it better when mounting into a jail or not.

I'll also assume that this isn't any better. So, my follow up question is how to get my data to play with the jails. I'm a Windows OS guy. All of my data was created on a Windows OS and I've stored it all on NTFS hard drives. I've built a FreeNas box to centralize all of my data and perform backups to the cloud. I want to create FreeNas jails that have access to my data so I can serve up my media through Plex, sync the data from my Android phones and back it all up through Crashplan. How would you configure your FreeNas data to do this and still allow creation, deletion and modification through a Windows OS machine?

Obara

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
If your going to use owncloud to manage your data you should not also be accessing it through CIFS. just create a dataset with standard Unix permissions to make it as compatible with freenas as possible, and upload your data through owncloud (desktop sync application would be best if you need to upload a lot).

if you absolutely must use cifs with owncloud files, then add the cifs share as an external mount point in owncloud and understand there will be a large performance hit.

Obara

Cadet
Hey, I love your guide for setting up ownCloud; both you and DrKK have really helped me out.

I really wasn't looking to manage my data through ownCloud. There are a couple of files, though, I want to keep synced across my computer and Android phones. Other than that I thought it would be super convenient to be able access all of my data through the ownCloud Android client. That way if I needed to access a file at a friends house, I could download it to the phone and then use a USB drive to get it off.

I'm not opposed to storing all of my data on a standard Unix dataset, it just make me nervous since all of the data was created on an NTFS hard drive. I know that moving it to a Unix dataset won't change it but deep down, in my Windows heart :), I'm afraid it will change something.

How would you have a Unix dataset that houses all of my files and still have the CIFS access it so my Windows machines can access it like normal?

Thank for walking me though the creation process.

Obara

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hey, I love your guide for setting up ownCloud; both you and DrKK have really helped me out.

I really wasn't looking to manage my data through ownCloud. There are a couple of files, though, I want to keep synced across my computer and Android phones. Other than that I thought it would be super convenient to be able access all of my data through the ownCloud Android client. That way if I needed to access a file at a friends house, I could download it to the phone and then use a USB drive to get it off.

I'm not opposed to storing all of my data on a standard Unix dataset, it just make me nervous since all of the data was created on an NTFS hard drive. I know that moving it to a Unix dataset won't change it but deep down, in my Windows heart :), I'm afraid it will change something.

How would you have a Unix dataset that houses all of my files and still have the CIFS access it so my Windows machines can access it like normal?

Thank for walking me though the creation process.

Obara
you would add your CIFS shares using the external storage mounts app in owncloud. I don't have experience with this process, but I have read of a business that does this for local CIFS access, but a remote webpage to access their files.

this might require you "pkg install samba-libsmbclient" but I don't know exactly how it works

Last edited:

Obara

Cadet
then add the cifs share as an external mount point in owncloud and understand there will be a large performance hit.

Okay, if I wanted to avoid the performance hit I need to have my data stored on the Unix dataset. Once that's done, how then from a Windows machine do I access those files (not using ownCloud or the ownCloud desktop app)?

Obara

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Okay, if I wanted to avoid the performance hit I need to have my data stored on the Unix dataset. Once that's done, how then from a Windows machine do I access those files (not using ownCloud or the ownCloud desktop app)?

Obara
you wouldn't. samba is the way to do that (with the performance hit).
My family never accesses their files directly, always through their desktop (which is synced using the OC client) or from the android app. never had an issue.
but, I guess it depends on what you are trying to do.

Obara

Cadet
you would add your CIFS shares using the external storage mounts app in owncloud.

I didn't find any apps in the apps.ownCloud.com area that pertained to "external storage mounts". What app are you thinking about? Do you mean mounting the CIFS through FreeNas and then pointing the ownCloud install to that area for its data location?

My family never accesses their files directly, always through their desktop (which is synced using the OC client) or from the android app. never had an issue. but, I guess it depends on what you are trying to do.

What I'm trying to do is access my FreeNas data from both my Android phone, Windows computer and other FreeNas jails (Plex, Dokuwiki, CrashPlan, etc). I'm wanting to treat my FreeNas primarily like a file server and pull off the selected files to each system. Whatever files I pull off FreeNas I would like to keep synced with it. This is where I thought ownCloud would come into play. I would use it as a window into my file server and whatever files it copied onto my device would be synced. This is why I'm trying to mount selected areas into the FreeNas jails but mount the entire CIFS dataset into the ownCloud and CrashPlan jails.

Am I trying to use ownCloud in an incorrect way? Should I only be trying to sync a very select few files through ownCloud and using something else on my Android phone to access the FreeNas data like a file server? Can I use the ownCloud desktop app to add files to ownCloud but not sync them on the computer?

Thanks for the help.

Obara

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I didn't find any apps in the apps.ownCloud.com area that pertained to "external storage mounts". What app are you thinking about? Do you mean mounting the CIFS through FreeNas and then pointing the ownCloud install to that area for its data location?

What I'm trying to do is access my FreeNas data from both my Android phone, Windows computer and other FreeNas jails (Plex, Dokuwiki, CrashPlan, etc). I'm wanting to treat my FreeNas primarily like a file server and pull off the selected files to each system. Whatever files I pull off FreeNas I would like to keep synced with it. This is where I thought ownCloud would come into play. I would use it as a window into my file server and whatever files it copied onto my device would be synced. This is why I'm trying to mount selected areas into the FreeNas jails but mount the entire CIFS dataset into the ownCloud and CrashPlan jails.

Am I trying to use ownCloud in an incorrect way? Should I only be trying to sync a very select few files through ownCloud and using something else on my Android phone to access the FreeNas data like a file server? Can I use the ownCloud desktop app to add files to ownCloud but not sync them on the computer?

Thanks for the help.

Obara
You are missing some fundamental knowledge of what you are doing. Things like how a share is different than a filesystem and how ntfs isn't supported under freenas for configuring sharing and jails. Could you please read the noob guide and skim over the manual?

Obara

Cadet
You are missing some fundamental knowledge of what you are doing. Things like how a share is different than a filesystem and how ntfs isn't supported under freenas for configuring sharing and jails. Could you please read the noob guide and skim over the manual?

I've read the FreeNas manual. Is there a particular "noob" guide you are referring to that you would like me to look over? I understand that I misspoke on include NTFS within FreeNas. The CIFS Windows share does seem to be supported though. If it isn't, why does the system let me mount that dataset into a jail? Was there a passage in the FreeNas manual that said it allows this but don't do it? If there was I have indeed missed it.

If you have a suggestion on how to setup my system I would love to hear it. Bottom line, I'm trying to get my Windows type world to play with FreeBSD type jails. Not my area of expertise and I'm willing to be taught the correct way on how to get these different worlds to talk to each other.

Obara

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

Thanks for the help.

Obara
the external storage app is included with owncloud so it won't be on apps.owncloud.org, got just enable it in owncloud's apps page, then configure it from the admin settings page.

yes your approach is incorrect because owncloud expected to have exclusive control of it's data-directory, it doesn't have this same assumption for external mountpoints (which you use that external storage app to mount).
for example in my case, owncloud only manages files my family uploads/syncs (mostly pictures/documents, but still 200GB worth...). it doesn't touch my media collection which is managed by sickrage/couchpotato.

no, the desktop app syncs folders(selectively), and can't just upload things. you could sync a folder though, then edit what folders to sync, uncheck that folder, then delete it locally. it would accomplish the same as uploading it.

the android app works as a window, and can upload individual files.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Have you ever accessed your media collection from outside your home to download to another computer (I'm assuming through a VPN)? What did you use?

Obara
no, if I want to watch something at another location I stream it with emby. if I actually need the file somewhere else I just redownload it there using torrents/Usenet.

Obara

Cadet
Gotcha, I'll try those changes this evening and get back to you on how they worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.