Owncloud Mountpoint - Multiple Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi-Liter

Explorer
Hi there,
in all posts regarding owncloud mountpoint issues I have read so far, it seems that people only ever consider a scenario where there is just one owncloud user. I need to have more than one user, each of which should be able to access his user folder outside the owncloud jail.
So far, I have no idea how to do that, since owncloud does not create a linux user when you add a new user via the owncloud webinterface.
Is my only option to enable the "External storage" app in owncloud and add SMB/CIFS shares?

Thanks for your ideas!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The short version is you can't do what you want to do.

Owncloud has a SQL database to track its files and such. Making them able to be modified by users "behind the back" of Owncloud will result in corrupted files and files that won't be "in sync" because the database won't know about changes that are made.

In short, you shouldn't be trying to access files stored by Owncloud except in Owncloud and its client.

I tried to do this when I first started using Owncloud. Needless to say it went very badly.

If the Owncloud client and Owncloud website aren't good enough, Owncloud isn't a good choice and you should examine alternative. :p

Hi-Liter

Explorer
Ugh, what a bummer!
Does anyone know of a good alternative to owncloud in FreeNAS?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
you might be able to do this by mounting in nullfs mount point(s) in FreeNAS. then using the owncloud external mountpoint plugin you can allow access to different "local" folders. I don't know if they can be owned by different system users because php is being run by the 'www' so no matter what that user needs read/write access to the files.

this may be possible but you should consult the owncloud forums. in the end you aren't providing any extra security, and like cyberjock said, OC doesnt work well when accessing the files using multiple protocols.

it sounds like you want something like sftp. less user friendly but fits your wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.