SOLVED "old" TrueNAS install can't find web, fresh install can

Illanair

Dabbler
Howdy Y'all.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my existing(old) TrueNAS install to boot up and grab networking access like it used to (I recently moved and tore down my PC beforehand). A fresh install on a new SSD works just fine, so something in the old one's config must have been messed up? How do I find out and/or replace/fix this? (I am VERY new to command line and FreeBSD/Linux style workflow and syntax so please be patient)

I've already tried a manual upgrade to the newest version of TrueNAS on the old drive (keeping old settings), to see if that did the trick but no dice. Now normally I'd just move on with life and use the fresh install, but I've got an existing 6TB (single drive) pool connected to the PC (and I don't know if the new one would detect and read this properly? before asking for steps here) and I've got a PLEX plugin that has a ton of "watched this and that" info I'd prefer to keep for the sake of the family (who uses it has a media center)

TLDR; Is there a way to reset just the networking information for an existing install but retain the rest of the config? Can I make a backup through the bootup shell somehow before nuking anything by accident?

PC is a selfbuilt Ryzen 2200G based setup with a Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac (using the built in Intel NIC) if that matters.

Nick2253

Wizard
Reading between the lines, I'm guessing that your existing TrueNAS networking is not set up correctly for your new home network. The gateway may have changed, or DNS servers, or something similar.

If you have ready access to the console on the existing TrueNAS, then it's easy to just delete the network config and re-add it. Make sure you also add DNS server(s) if you need TrueNAS to access Internet resources.

Illanair

Dabbler
Reading between the lines, I'm guessing that your existing TrueNAS networking is not set up correctly for your new home network. The gateway may have changed, or DNS servers, or something similar.
You would think so - But - It's being connected directly into the same Router, which still has the old place's network all intact along with reserved IPs based on MAC addresses and all (tried purging all of those to troubleshoot but no dice)

As for "just delete the network config", is there a step by step for that anywhere? I tried stumbling blindly in the Console Setup but couldn't for the life of me figure out what to do (Based off of similar web interface could not be accessed threads through google)

Nick2253

Wizard
I don't have the console in front of me, but I recall that the process is something like:
  • # to configure interfaces
  • # to select the correct interface.
  • The system will then prompt if you want to reset that interface. If you say "Y" then it should be reset, and will bring you back to the main menu.
  • # to configure interfaces
  • # to select the correct interface.
  • Say "N"
  • Follow the prompts to configure the interface. Pay close attention to the subnet mask (CIDR), gateway.
To configure DNS, you start from the main menu, and pick the number to configure DNS servers.

Illanair

Dabbler
Hey hey! We get signal.

Thanks a ton for the help - Could have sworn I already tried this before posting, but whatever I did or didn't it works like a charm now. :grin:

Nick2253

Wizard
Excellent! I'm glad that worked.