Old 32-bit System FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Tilt

Cadet
So long story short, but after my old thecus died, I've used an older sytem with a 8 port 3Ware SATA card to recover data. Since I now need a new NAS solution, I though of building my own. I have an older system and wanted to try to play with FreeNAS on this hardware to determine my next generation solution.

My question is I dont have ECC memory so am hesitant to use ZFS, so what does UFS Striped and UFS Mirror get me? I have 4 or 5 750gb hard drives that I utilize.

Does UFS Striped configure some level of raid redundancy? (Seen posts that RAID5 not supported, maybe RAID3?)

Does UFS Mirror, just create a RAID1 type? How would that work across 4 drives?

I could configure a RAID5 array via the 3WARE card and then just have 1 UFS drive to create a volume?

Thanks for the help as I'm anxious to try out FreeNAS and make my decision for my next solution.

Thanks!

mattbbpl

Patron
I'm sorry, but a 32 bit system won't suffice for FreeNAS. Nas4Free (old FreeNAS) utilizing UFS might work for your needs, though.

Edit: Oh lord, I forgot FreeNAS 9.2 supported UFS.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If using ufs you need to use freenas 9.2 and your raid card will configure the redundancy. With ufs having ecc memory doesn't have much benefit except for better stability. Good luck, 9.2 isn't supported much any more and is getting kind of old but it works just fine.

Michael Tilt

Cadet
Thanks for the replies.

Can someone share what 'raid' level UFS stripped is? And UFS mirrored by chance?

D

dlavigne

Edit: Oh lord, I forgot FreeNAS 9.2 supported UFS.

No sense pointing anyone to a release that is 16 months out-of date :smile: Especially when there are alternatives that still support 32-bit UFS.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
No sense pointing anyone to a release that is 16 months out-of date :) Especially when there are alternatives that still support 32-bit UFS.
+1 on this. If you need some sort of NAS with a webgui with 32-bit support, look at NAS4Free or openmediavault. Generally hardware raid (like what your 3-ware card does) is superior to software raid or fake-raid, but please note that older RAID cards may limit you to hard drives with less than a 2TB capacity. I wouldn't use RAID5 on the card without verifying that the battery backup unit for the RAID card is still in working order.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
NAS4Free as an easy option.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Status
Not open for further replies.