Offsite backup using Syncthing

gabter

Cadet
I use FreeNAS as a small office (less than a dozen users, Windows) file server and I am extremely happy. I would like to do an offsite backup to my home computer off all the data on FreeNAS, and I thought Syncthing would be a great tool for that.
I have set up Syncthing in a jail (thanks Youtube and LawrenceSystems) and I can sync a dedicated dataset no problem. What would be the best way to mount all the other datasets (ACL) for syncing? Read-only would actually be sufficient, since it would be a one-way sync (from FreeNAS to home drive). Should I just mount the datasets to the Snycthing dedicated dataset as "ro" and I'm good to go? What permissions would be needed to do that?
If not Syncthing, and other/better options?
I am not an expert, so some code snippets - if necessary - would be helpful, if anyone has insight. Thanks

robertbarry

Cadet
Did you ever hear anything back off forum? I am also interested in doing some similar but with a WIN10 computer at same location as my TrueNAS. What are the possible ways and what is the best way to make all of my datasets available to syncthing to sync to my WIN10 computer? Also, are there any considerations to ensure the original data in the datasets on TrueNAS are safe from ransomware?

rkbest

Dabbler
Did you ever hear anything back off forum? I am also interested in doing some similar but with a WIN10 computer at same location as my TrueNAS. What are the possible ways and what is the best way to make all of my datasets available to syncthing to sync to my WIN10 computer? Also, are there any considerations to ensure the original data in the datasets on TrueNAS are safe from ransomware?
I want to do the same thing, most tutorial assume the truenas will the backup server thus backup data come to syncthing dataset without access to other data on pool.
What I want is to access data on the truenas pool to be synced on different syncthing server as you want. Cant find any resource to so this.