TrueNAS Reporting Syncthing is using more storage than it should

Ralphshep

Dabbler
Hello all,

I have Syncthing installed in a jail running FreeBSD 12.2 and Syncthing 1.18.1 on a TrueNAS-12.0-U8 server. Then, I have a dataset in my main data pool dedicated to the Syncthing data that I mounted into the Syncthing jail.

Using Syncthing, I want to sync the Documents, Photos folders, and my external drive that are all connected to my Mac Mini.

I was able to set all of this up with no problem until I noticed that the Syncthing dataset started growing way beyond what I would imagine being a normal amount of disk use. All of those folders equal around 900GB of data. However, the Syncthing dataset had ballooned to over 4TB according to the TrueNAS dashboard.

Figuring I did something wrong, I deactivated the shared folders on my TrueNAS server and deleted the dataset to try it all again, this time starting smaller. So, I connected my Documents and Pictures folders (whose total amounts to 233GB). However, once again, the Syncthing dataset ballooned to over 900GB according to the TrueNAS dashboard.

To investigate further, I added the Syncthing dataset as an SMB share so I can really see the contents of the dataset. But all I find are the two folders, Documents, and Pictures which total the correct amount of 233GB.

So, what is the other 673GB in the dataset? Is TrueNAS reporting incorrectly?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 2.55.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 2.55.07 PM.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 105