SOLVED official wg-easy. Cant connect or see my Lan

Chew72

Cadet
Hello all. I hope you can bare with me. I'm new to Truenas scale. I recently updated my server with "new" to me hardwear. for the sake of playing with Truenas scale I installed it along with apps before moving my HDD's over. One of the featured I'd love to have is the ability to VPN into my network and see/interact with the LAN from my cell phone. After much fooling around and button pressing I somehow got wireguard working.

I then did a fresh install but now can't get wireguard working. All I get is handshake received from my cellphone when connected but no connectivity when trying to access anything on the LAN. I've attached as many of the settings I can think of that are currently installed. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

wgclient.jpg

kubersettings.jpg

wgeasy.jpg

ip forward.jpg

Interfaces.jpg

Chew72

Cadet
I guess my follow-up question is is wireguard the best thing to use for this? Perhaps I'm outside of its use case?

Black_Duck

Explorer
I can see several things wrong with your configuration
  1. Your "Client IP Address range" is wrong - leave it as the default (10.8.0.x). These are the addresses used by your VPN client(s), not your local network.
  2. Your interface its wrong. It is enp2s0, but wg-easy sets it as eth0 unless you change it.
My advice is to start from scratch and follow my guide that you can find here.

And yes, wg-easy and wireguard is (in my opinion) the best option. its very stable, low overhead and fast.
Note that to access your network files, you will need to 'connect' to the server (i.e. smb://[your server address])

Let me know if you have any problems.

Chew72

Cadet
I'm here to report back it is now working! I believe point 2. was my problem, the interface was wrong.
Thank you for the help with this.