NVMe Power_On_Hours not incrementing in SCALE

joeschmuck

Old Man
I discovered something quite odd and I'm still investigating it but my nvme HP 1TB drive Power_On_Hours appears to stop incrementing when I'm using SCALE 23.10.RC1. I'm not really doing anything on the NAS, it normally just waits for a backup to happen once every blue moon. When I'm using the current CORE version the Power_On_Hours increments. The power management is identical, then I made a few changes and still, the same thing. I suspect the nvme is being driven into possibly Standby or some other lower power mode and the timer stops incrementing. I have 17 hours on this nvme and I'm certain it was all while using CORE. My system has been running 5 days now, almost all of that on SCALE. Below is a few dumps of data, smartctl and nvme id-ctrl. I have no idea if there is a way to tell for how long the device goes into a deeper power state. And I'm curious if anyone else has seen this behaviour.

I will start a backup, hopefully I can do something to slow it down to take a few hours. That will be difficult. Maybe I can force my Windows machine into 10-mbit, that might do it.

Cheers,
-Joe

Attachments

• nvme_id_ctrl.txt
    8.4 KB · Views: 57
  • nvme_several_day_later.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 37