Geek Baba

Explorer
Hello! I built a all nvme freenas with the following specs in Sep 2019:
  1. SuperServer 2028U-TN24R4T+
  2. SuperMicro X10DRU-i+
  3. 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3
  4. 384GB (24 x 16GB) 2RX4 PC4-2133P DDR4 MEMORY
  5. 24 x Intel DC P3600 SSD 800GB NVMe PCIe 3.0
After installing freenas 11.2 I found out that after adding 18th disk, it started to throw "nvme missing interrupt" error. I started to look around and found some know issues with freebsd that was fixed (freebsd bug) so I was hoping that after updating to 11.3 it will go away, however even after updating to freenas 11.3-U1, I still see the issue, I am attaching some of the pictures that I took while it boots up (takes a very long time to boot). I also found that few folks had similar issue when using it virtually which does not apply in my case.

Really lost now as I have looked everywhere and patiently waited for 11.3 but looks like its something else, any help would be very appreciated.

PS: currently its running 16 disks and 2 vdevs and I have not seen any issues, I had to take the other 8 drives out otherwise it keeps throwing the errors and takes 30 mins or more to boot up.

Attachments

• IMG_1907.jpeg
    IMG_1907.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_1908.jpeg
    IMG_1908.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_1935.jpeg
    IMG_1935.jpeg
    354.2 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_1936.jpeg
    IMG_1936.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_1937.jpeg
    IMG_1937.jpeg
    309 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_1938.jpeg
    IMG_1938.jpeg
    328.6 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
24 x Intel DC P3600 SSD 800GB NVMe PCIe 3.0
Those are 4-lane NVME drives (according to this: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/series/81000/intel-ssd-dc-p3600-series.html), so for 24 of them, you would need to have 96 available PCIe lanes in your system...

1. SuperMicro X10DRU-i+
  2. 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2603 v4

I see each of your CPUs has 40 available PCIe lanes (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-processor-e5-2603-v4-15m-cache-1-70-ghz.html).
So with 2 of those (=40 x 2... 80) you are 16 lanes short in total.

With only 16 NVME drives, you are using 64 lanes, so within your capacity, which is probably why it works.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
So you can buy systems that mechanically/electrically take more devices than your CPU can handle? WT...?

Geek Baba

Explorer
So you can buy systems that mechanically/electrically take more devices than your CPU can handle? WT...?
That was my first reaction but I also noticed I added a "Intel X520-DA2 10Gbe NIC Dual E10G42BTDA" PCI card thats not needed, this system already have 4 10Gig ports, I am going to remove it and check again.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
That will probably allow you to use 20 disks. We are stuck with 4, currently. On a completely different platform, though.

Geek Baba

Explorer
That will probably allow you to use 20 disks. We are stuck with 4, currently. On a completely different platform, though.
I would let you know, I am hoping it to work as the system spec clearly mentions that supports upto 24 nvme drives and motherborad only supports e5-2600 v3/v4 and no processor in that family have more than 40 lanes.

Also what platform are you on thats not supporting more than 4 drives?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The details are in the JIRA issue I linked above.

Geek Baba

Explorer
Those are 4-lane NVME drives (according to this: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/series/81000/intel-ssd-dc-p3600-series.html), so for 24 of them, you would need to have 96 available PCIe lanes in your system...

I see each of your CPUs has 40 available PCIe lanes (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-processor-e5-2603-v4-15m-cache-1-70-ghz.html).
So with 2 of those (=40 x 2... 80) you are 16 lanes short in total.

With only 16 NVME drives, you are using 64 lanes, so within your capacity, which is probably why it works.
Since E5-2600 v3/v4 only supports upto 40 lanes, this system could never be able to use 24 NVME drives right?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Since E5-2600 v3/v4 only supports upto 40 lanes, this system could never be able to use 24 NVME drives right?
Unless you have more empty CPU sockets (which I see you don't)... no.

I'm not sure if there are CPUs on that socket platform that support more lanes, but you may find that the lane limit is also related to the chipset on the motherboard.

In general, that many NVME drives will only be possible with a newer generation board and CPU.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
That's almost always been possible... PCIe x8 and x16 slots often cut back their capacity once you populate other slots (same reason based on lane capacity).
System designers and system builders need to be aligned on how the stuff will be put together.

Geek Baba

Explorer
Unless you have more empty CPU sockets (which I see you don't)... no.

I'm not sure if there are CPUs on that socket platform that support more lanes, but you may find that the lane limit is also related to the chipset on the motherboard.

In general, that many NVME drives will only be possible with a newer generation board and CPU.
I reached out to Supermicro support and here is their response:
The 2028U has two PLX9765 (PCIe Gen3x16) to support 12x NVMe ports for each CPU.
Your OS kernel might not support it, please try either Centos 7.6 or newer or Ubuntu 18.04 and see if you still have the error messages reporting from kernel. Also, try optimized the BIOS settings.

sretalla