NVMe: missing interrupt - What is the trigger

saveZFS

Explorer
Hallo,

I started my SSD pool project with two gigabyte SSDs in a mirror. Unfortunately, the performance was sub-par.
Then I ordered a Micron Enterprise M.2-SSD (Micron 7400 Pro 1TB M.2 (2280)). This came yesterday.
Unfortunately, right after passing it through to the TrueNAS VM, TrueNAS shows the following error "nvme missing interrupt".
I fixed it by adding 'pciPassthru1.msiEnabled=FALSE' to the vmx file.
But I am amazed that the gigabyte SSDs worked without this workaround.

Furthermore, the SSD got so hot in idle (75 degrees) despite a 120mm fan pointed at it. That's why I can't use them in the system!
So I need a new SSD, but the question is which SSDs generate the error "nvme missing interrupt"?
Are there special controllers or what do I have to pay attention to so that I can ultimately operate the SSD without a workaround?

System (ESXi-Server):
Intel Xeon E3-1245v5
64GB DDR4 ECC
Boot: SSD Intel SSD DC S3610 Series 200GB
with TrueNAS-VM:
2 Cores
16 GB RAM
HBA: IBM M1215 IT-Mode (Passthrough) with: Pool1: 6 x WD Red 4TB (Raid-Z2) & Pool2: 2 x WD Red 5TB (Mirror)
Pool3: Should be an SSD-Pool (Passthrough), but at the moment only problems witch SSDs :(

ssts100

Dabbler
I am getting the same error with 2 of 4 identical SSD.
I think it's related to the driver between ESXI and FreeBSD. It was not an issue when I run it bare metal.

Alex_K

Explorer
There is a lot written on that. If you dig through it long enough,
It boils down to this

Depending on ESXi version and build,
hw.pci.honor_msi_blacklist=0
Loader tunable in TrueNAS Core very probably would fix errors and help performance. And you wont need pciPassthru1.msiEnabled=FALSE

Only about temperature, I can't say. Maybe someone who used that particular SSD model has more info.