NUT Powers off UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeNASBob

Patron
I've been having an issue with my Cyberpower CP1000PFCLCD. I have FreeNAS configured to power down after 5 minutes on battery power. I know at that point that it's likely an extended outage. When FreeNAS shuts down after 5 minutes I still have about 90% battery capacity remaining.

I also have my WiFi router connected to the UPS. I have a weather station that reports to NOAA every few minutes, so I like to keep the Internet connection up as long as possible.

The problem comes when FreeNAS shuts down. Within a short time the UPS also powers off. I do not want the UPS to power off. I want it to keep on running to power the WiFi. Cyberpower support says that there is nothing inside the UPS that would turn it off when FreeNAS powers down ... that the driver is responsible for that. That leaves NUT. Does anyone know how to prevent the UPS from shutting down after FreeNAS powers down? The UPS is only good as a door stop to me if it cannot remain on.

Thanks.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

FreeNASBob

Patron
Anything specifically keeping you from updating to the latest version?
It's not clear to me whether the latest version has a fix for this. As for my reluctance to upgrade, it's because from what I understand I have to decrypt my entire pool just to upgrade. I don't really want to do that as it could take a long time. So, unless there is some HUGE reason to upgrade, it's not going to happen.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
upload_2015-10-22_16-27-54.png

It's not clear to me whether the latest version has a fix for this.
As you can see, it does.

As for my reluctance to upgrade, it's because from what I understand I have to decrypt my entire pool just to upgrade.
Where did you get that idea?

FreeNASBob

Patron
Where did you get that idea?

Here:

Be aware of the following caveats before attempting an upgrade to 9.3.1:

The initial configuration wizard will not recognize an encrypted ZFS pool. If your ZFS pool is GELI-encrypted and the Initial Configuration Wizard starts after the upgrade, cancel the wizard and use the instructions in Importing an Encrypted Pool to import the encrypted volume.

It's not clear whether this means it will happen, or it could happen, but either way I'm not taking that chance.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Here you just make an update, you don't reinstall the system, so no problem. Besides, even if you reinstall you just need to cancel the wizard.

FreeNASBob

Patron
The wizard is a new thing. It was not clear to me whether it was required to have a functional system after upgrading.

Why would that caveat be specifically listed in the upgrading section if it's not an issue with upgrading? That caveat should have additional information, like "if you are upgrading a system with an existing GELI encrypted ZFS pool, the pool, keys, and recovery keys will be preserved and importing the ZFS pool will not be required."

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Not required at all, it's just for the noobs ;)

Upgrade != update. Upgrading is a reinstall of the system. Updating is applying an update from the web GUI.

FreeNASBob

Patron
Not required at all, it's just for the noobs ;)

Upgrade != update. Upgrading is a reinstall of the system. Updating is applying an update from the web GUI.

Someone should update the documentation, because it specifically calls updating from the Web UI "Upgrading". See section 2.5.4. Upgrading From the GUI. The documentation should also make clear that updating does not require importing ZFS pools afterward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.