APC UPS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom7320

Explorer
Hi there!

I have a problem with my NAS (FreeNAS 8.3.1 on an HP Microserver N56L) and the UPS (APC Back UPS ES 700). Everything seems to work fine, but after the server is haltet by NUT it does not boot again when power resumes?!? The appropriate setting in the server's BIOS is set to "Always start after power failure".

It used to work with Ubuntu Linux so I don't think this is a hardware issue and it should also work with FreeNAS! My problem seems to be similar to this one:
http://serverfault.com/questions/31...ps-shuts-it-down-when-mains-power-is-restored
But unfortunately I don't know much about BSD and/or NUT to solve it myself... :(

Any suggestions are very welcome!!

Thx!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
More than likely, if something is wrong its more to do with the FreeBSD support for your UPS than anything else. Are you sure your UPS is supported by FreeBSD?

Tom7320

Explorer
Well according to NUT's compatibility list it is supposed to work with the usbhid-ups driver. And it does work, at least I don't see any issues so far: "If a power failure occurs, everything is working as expected, but the UPS is not powered down after FreeNAS shut itself down. FreeNAS needs to honor the existence of the killpower file in /etc/killpower or /var/etc/killpower and then tell the UPS to shut down. In the NUT config there is no config option set that would create the file. It's like the explanation of the "POWERDOWNFLAG" of NUT says. The systems become stuck in the power down state even if the power comes back.". That is exactly my problem! FreeNAS needs to call upsdrvctl shutdown to shutdown the UPS which it does not do at the moment!

Tom7320

Explorer
Unfortunately not! I thought about buying a new UPS, but I did not so far. I just don't know which one to buy....

D

dlavigne

Which version of FreeNAS are you running now? If you're in the 9.x series and still having issues, please open an issue regarding the killpower at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

Status
Not open for further replies.