Number of likes no longer shows

Glorious1

Guru
I used to see a person's number of "likes" in the mini-profile that shows to the left of their post, but just noticed it is not there anymore. I did find when hovering over their avatar, the popup has something called "Reaction score". Is that number of likes?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
I used to see a person's number of "likes" in the mini-profile that shows to the left of their post, but just noticed it is not there anymore. I did find when hovering over their avatar, the popup has something called "Reaction score". Is that number of likes?
I believe you are correct. I hadn't noticed this change at all, it is true for Ganz großes Kino -dark theme as well.

Glorious1

Guru
OK, now I see when I hover over "Like" on a post, there are reactions other than Like to be chosen, such as Love, but also Sad and Angry. Presumably those would also show under Reaction score. I gave you guys some alternate reactions to try it.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Hovering over like does nothing for me.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
I believe this alternate reaction is only available to mobile users, as I see no options though the url while I hover the like button gives "... /react?reaction_id=1" which may only be equivalent to 'true' but one cannot manipulate it anyway.

Glorious1

Guru
I'm not mobile. Maybe it's the vanilla theme? Or browser compatibility? I'm using Firefox.

The URL that shows up changes reaction_id=# depending on which reaction you hover on.

Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 10.14.55 AM.png

Looks like @Jurgen Segaert has the alternate reactions as he has reacted to several posts in this thread. So not just me.

Last edited:

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Hmm.. I looked at 'default theme' and Ganz großes Kino -dark theme and saw no popup like you show. I'm also looking into what I might have done to prevent the emoticons from being visible in my theme, but first trying to override what else I may have in the CSS to force them to be visible. Oh, to clarify, if I select default theme those emoticons are shown in the likes bar only, no popup.

Eviltwin

exploradebugger
That hover effect is only true for the vanilla theme which is somewhat baffling as I did not modify New Style to eliminate it. I wonder if it is (or was) some sort of mod that somehow became integrated with the vanilla theme or if somehow it is filtered out of all the other themes. It seems odd.

Glorious1

Guru
That hover effect is only true for the vanilla theme which is somewhat baffling as I did not modify New Style to eliminate it. I wonder if it is (or was) some sort of mod that somehow became integrated with the vanilla theme or if somehow it is filtered out of all the other themes. It seems odd.
Right, I don't get any form of alternate reaction choice with Ganz Großes Kino or New Style themes. In Vanilla theme, I got the pop-up alternatives with both Firefox and Safari.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
At the moment I am at a loss as to what I need to shift around to permit this (imho silly) feature to exist outside of the vanilla theme. Afaik, the vanilla theme was created to be distinct from *any* theme adjustments, and I believe that with a miniscule exception this has remained true, but I might be wrong, I didn't look very deep. I did check to see whether any XenForo addons might have anything to do with the effect, and only one addon which was very recently included *could* except that it is very specific to a theme that is not public at all.

The other icons show for me after I switched to the "Vanilla Xenforo Style" in Your Account > Preferences > Style
Neither of the styles show the "number of likes" as they used to.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
The other icons show for me after I switched to the "Vanilla Xenforo Style" in Your Account > Preferences > Style
Neither of the styles show the "number of likes" as they used to.

Regarding the likes tally that is no longer shown the way it had been..
I believe it may take modification of the template which defines the "profile card" displayed to the left of each message. I am not sure if I could snatch the needed data from the hover box but that could be possible also. Either way, fixing the effect which was lost will take a bit of effort. It must have been gone a while and I also surely wasn't paying close attention to it, so was the "number of likes" just a number and label below the user avatar image, probably below the title space? I will have plenty of freetime until August :/

Glorious1

Guru
Regarding the likes tally that is no longer shown the way it had been..
I believe it may take modification of the template which defines the "profile card" displayed to the left of each message. I am not sure if I could snatch the needed data from the hover box but that could be possible also. Either way, fixing the effect which was lost will take a bit of effort. It must have been gone a while and I also surely wasn't paying close attention to it, so was the "number of likes" just a number and label below the user avatar image, probably below the title space? I will have plenty of freetime until August :/
I think having the number of likes / reaction score just in the left hover box is fine. I assumed that was a conscious decision by some developer or administrator, to reduce emphasis on number of likes and the associated competition. And since there are other reactions besides 'Like', it can't really be called 'number of likes' anymore. Seems like the only problem really is that the alternate reactions are not available in the other themes. That is, it's a problem if you want alternate reactions.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
IMHO, the alternate reactions are an issue simply because they are possible in just the one theme, and this makes it be "why can't I.." which for the moment I cannot solve. Personally, I was fine with it NOT being like facebook or other social media, and having it be "thanks" instead of like and the other reactions only emphasizes the facebook-izing. I also think that "thanks" should be an option somehow, which works similar to the likes, because this would eliminate a sort of "me too" post that occurs sometimes which doesn't add valuable content to the conversation of the thread.