SOLVED Not installing from usb drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITGuy1024

Explorer
Hey all,

This morning I wanted to try and upgrade (again) from 9.3 stable to 11 stable. The download / install seemed to go ok until the reboot. The server never came fully back online. When I looked at the monitor it seemed to be stuck in a loop. I did a ctrl alt delete and after that I could no longer boot from the usb drive. I put it in another computer and it wouldn't show up, assuming it's dead.

Ok no problem, I saved the config before doing the upgrade. I grabbed another usb drive and put 11 stable on it using Rufus. It shows up in my motherboard as a boot option but the system keeps trying to boot to the raid drives. Previously I had used the Windows bootable usb tool but that had shown an error about the iso not being valid.

I followed this guide https://doc.freenas.org/11/install.html#preparing-the-media

Any suggestions on how to get this usb drive to boot up?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Is the system booting in UEFI mode? Because you might have to set the boot device in the UEFI BIOS after creating a new one.

ITGuy1024

Explorer
Is the system booting in UEFI mode? Because you might have to set the boot device in the UEFI BIOS after creating a new one.

It is booting to UEFI. I changed the boot device to the USB drive but it doesn't boot to it. I get the same message that it's trying to boot to the raid.

ITGuy1024

Explorer
I'm trying these settings with ISO mode.

Attachments

• freenas usb.PNG
    freenas usb.PNG
    77.3 KB · Views: 864

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Rufus only works if "dd mode" is selected.

ITGuy1024

Explorer
Rufus only works if "dd mode" is selected.
Yeah I saw that but dd mode doesn't work either.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ITGuy1024

Explorer
So I got my system back up and running on 11 Stable. I had to do a clean install from CD on to a flash drive, import my config and thankfully it seemed to work.

My only issue now is that I can't get the system to automatically boot from the USB drive. If I set the bios to use USB, save and reboot it reverts back to trying to boot from the raid card.

Although if I go in to the bios and manually say to boot to the USB drive it does boot up.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Check for an updated BIOS.

ITGuy1024

Explorer

ITGuy1024

Explorer
Follow up on this. I did another fresh install on an SSD this time, problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.