Not having luck with Restore Previous Versions on Samba Share In Windows 10

ThatTomGuy

Cadet
I'm running TrueNAS-13.0-U5.3 with ZFS and I have a SMB share that works but in Windows it doesnt show anything for Restore Previous versions.

For reference I followed this guide (after I first noticed this wasnt working) which warns about doing things out of order. Maybe this is why I'm stuck.

Anyway, Im just gonna post some screenshots if no one minds showing what I have and maybe someone can see something obvious or point me to log files that I can look at for further diagnosis.

My User for the Samba Share:

samba user.png

The Group:

sambagroup.png

The DataSet and ACL (I didnt edit anything on the right side and used the two boxes on the left to Apply):

datasetacl.png

Ive setup a periodic snapshot task:

periodic snapshot.png

The share itself (just used defaults):

Only interesting thing is the share is on DataSet/MSDataSet, but sharing DataSet doesn't seem to solve my problem anyway.

smb options.png

I have done "obvious" things like restart the SMB service and restart TrueNAS. When I setup the ACL I applied permissions recursively...

The one thing I didnt do (going back to the Out Of Order warning from the video) was I didn't create the DataSet as Samba (at least I don't remember doing it). I don't think you can change the setting once made and its only about case insensitive filenames anyway right?

Here is my humiliating result. I never have a previous version to restore no matter how many times I edit over time:

Restore.png

What would you look at next?

Davvo

MVP
Did you configure the DataSet Share? Beside the user having Sudo powers (which is not causing the issue but it's bad for security) it's the only things that looks out of order (you are sharing MassStorage/DataSet/MSDataSet instead of MassStorage/DataSet).

The one thing I didnt do (going back to the Out Of Order warning from the video) was I didn't create the DataSet as Samba (at least I don't remember doing it). I don't think you can change the setting once made and its only about case insensitive filenames anyway right?
That simply starts you off with standard ACL upon dataset creation. You apparently already went in and created an ACL yourself. (If you don't enable the "Samba" preset upon dataset creation, you start with standard Unix permissions. You can always create an ACL later, or strip the ACLs, back and forth without limit. So there is no such setting as "You only get one chance to enable this!"

Okay, so that was "half right and half wrong". The case sensitivity is an immutable property, which you pointed out. But it should not have an effect on snapshots and "version history".

Did your task even create any snapshots?

Code:
zfs list -t snap MassStorage/DataSet

ThatTomGuy

Cadet
Did your task even create any snapshots?

Code:
zfs list -t snap MassStorage/DataSet

It seems to be. It even seems like if I wait one minute (snapshot interval) with no changes, I get a 0 Byte changeset and then if I edit or add a file I get some non-0 number:

1699502637746.png

Still no previous versions showing on the Windows side though

ThatTomGuy

Cadet
I tried making another DataSet (this time unencrypted) and Share and on that one, Restore Previous versions was working in Windows. So I ended up just moving all my files over.

But... If I make an Encrypted DataSet I cannot get Restore Previous Versions to work. Only on the non-encrypted datasets. Is this expected?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I tried making another DataSet (this time unencrypted) and Share and on that one, Restore Previous versions was working in Windows. So I ended up just moving all my files over.

But... If I make an Encrypted DataSet I cannot get Restore Previous Versions to work. Only on the non-encrypted datasets. Is this expected?
There's probably some other diffrence being overlooked. Encryption (when dataset is unlocked) has no impact at all on this.