Noob question about hard drive burn in testing(yes, I read the thread)

owsleygarcia95

Dabbler
Badblocks does not care whether the drives are new, used, already formatted or whatever: It reads (and writes) raw sectors.

-b is block size, -c is count, i.e. the number of blocks in one go; together they define the size of the data chunk that is read/written on each operation. Too few is ineffective but bigger than the hardware can chew will slow the test. In my experiments with 10-12 TB drives, -b 4096 with -c 128 or -c 256 made little difference. If you go up to 64ki for a block, decrease 'count' accordingly.
It says /dev/sda is apparently in use by the system, it's not safe to run bad blocks. Is there a command to just bypass this or do I need to wipe the array?

Redcoat

MVP
Is sda your boot drive by chance? If it is, just don't run badblocks on it. If it isn't your boot drive, move your system dataset to your boot drive before you run badblocks on it. I don't know where the GUI command for that move is in Scale as I'm on Core.

owsleygarcia95

Dabbler
Got the tests running. Have successfully close command line and logged back in, got them to come back. Everything is good. Thanks. Hopefully this thread will help some other people that have absolutely no starting information and are trying to run drive tests.

owsleygarcia95

Dabbler
Is sda your boot drive by chance? If it is, just don't run badblocks on it. If it isn't your boot drive, move your system dataset to your boot drive before you run badblocks on it. I don't know where the GUI command for that move is in Scale as I'm on Core.
Thankfully, they made it an automatic option to move the system dataset when you attempt to disable the main array. I have a 128gb ssd boot, and a 1tb ssd app pool. Apparently scale will automatically make sure you don't delete this, you just have to check the box. Everything else still works, so I don't think I messed it up too bad lol. But yeah, I'm positive the hard drives are sda, sdb, sdc, and sdd. Got the test running on each drive. Everything appears to be working fine. Thank you for the concern.