BUILD Node 304 Home Server build questions.

Which motherboard would you pick?

• ASRock C2550D4I Mini ITX Server Motherboard DDR3 1600/1333/1066 $270

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • ASRock C2750D4I Mini ITX Server Motherboard FCBGA1283 DDR3 1600/1333 $410

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • ASRock E3C224D2I Mini ITX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C224 DDR3 1600/1333 $199

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • ASRock E3C226D2I Mini ITX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C226 DDR3 1600/1333 $225

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shay.ca

Dabbler
Hoping to score a deal on more 3tb red drives and a mobo for prime day tomorrow! ERR Decisions decisions.

Shay.ca

Dabbler
Alright,

I have some money saved up and have purchased some things.

I have the node 304, power supply and 3 WD red 3tb drives (still need 3 more).

I am torn on the motherboard / chip.

I can't decide between the following:

ASRock C2750D4I
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157475

I can get that for $375 new from newegg right now.

The only con I have with it is that the chip is soldered on and if something happens the whole thing is junk. I also know nothing about Avoton C2750 Octa-Core Processor as far as speed and what it can do. I believe I read this was used in the freenas home box that they sell. I believe it will do what I want to do but am still hesitant because everything is together.

It would run cooler and easier than anything else.

The other decision maker is:

ASRock E3C226D2I
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157466

Paired with an i3 chip that supports ecc ram and the board. Not sure which one to get for the chip either for the best bang for my dollar.

If I go this route, I can always upgrade to a xenon processor down the road. I can reuse the i3 for a business computer that I will eventually build as well for just business purpose needs. I know this way will use more electricity overall.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Whatever board I go with it needs to fit in the node 304.

I have about $550 saved up right now, hoping to sell a few more items and get the last 3 drives and then I am set after I get this decision on the board / chip selection done.

- Shay

sremick

Patron
An i3 or Xeon E3 is going to be much better for transcoding than the Avoton. While you can do some transcoding with the Avoton, it's really not in the same ballfield and it's really just an option if you're trying to go ultra-low power. If I recall another benefit of that Avoton board is it supports 32GB RAM (someone please confirm), so if you're needing RAM more than CPU horsepower (lots of jails?) then maybe the Avoton would be a better choice in that situation.

Overall though it seemed the Avoton was a compromise that in my situation I didn't feel I needed or wanted to make.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Actually, Avoton C2750 is better at transcoding than an i3, or at least as good as an i3.
Either one will transcode well enough for most users.

Shay.ca

Dabbler
Now I need the following items. Which will all fit in the node 304

I3 or Xenon processor
3x WD 3tb RED drives (have 3 already)
sata splitter to add 2 more. Bought a PS that only had 4, need 6. I forgot to check, any recommendations on a jumper cable from amazon or newegg?
cooler for the chip

I believe that's all I need left.

I have the case, power supply, mobo, and ram now.

- Shay

sata splitter to add 2 more.
What do you mean by "Sata splitter"... That Xeon has a nice stock and turbo frequency and supports 32Gb of RAM, price isnt bad either

gpsguy

If, by SATA splitter, if you mean a port multiplier- don't buy one. They are bad for FreeNAS' health. Buy a HBA instead. The IBM M1015 is popular and can support up to 8 additional drives. Cost about $100 USD on eBAY.

Sent from my phone

Last edited:

rogerh

Guru
If, by SATA splitter, if you mean a port multiplier- don't buy one. They are bad for FreeNAS' health. Buy a HBA instead. The IBM M1015 is popular and can support up to 8 additional drives. Cost about $100 USD on eBAY.

From the conversation earlier in the thread I think he just means a Molex to two SATA power connectors adapter. We were trying to think of search terms!

Shay.ca

Dabbler
Yes, sorry to clarify.

I puchased this power supply earlier as it went on sale and seemed like a good deal. Turns out I did not look at the specs and just got excited. I need 6 sata ports for the 6 wd 3tb drives.

The power supply is this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139049

In the specs it says:
Connectors
1 x 24pin main connector
1 x 8pin EPS12V CPU
1 x PCI-E
4 x SATA
3 x Peripheral
1 x Floppy
Someone else recommended a special cable that would allow me to add 2 more Sata connections but maybe its not possible.

If not I can save this power supply for another build I will eventually do and get something else. I would like to use what I have if possible but if its not a good way I can do something else.

Suggestions?

rogerh

Guru
You can probably get a replacement Corsair modular cable to do what you want, but it is easier and cheaper to get something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=sata_power_molex-_-12-400-307-_-Product

No problem at all!

Edit: generally speaking, extra connectors are a bad idea; but the Molex plugs are solid old-fashioned plugs that are less likely than most to come undone or make intermittent connections. Never understood the virtue of modular PSUs myself, a gratuitous extra point of failure!

Last edited:

Shay.ca

Dabbler
That adapter cable will work with this correct? See attached photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 267

gpsguy

No. Look at picture rogerh provided.

Sent from my phone

Shay.ca

Dabbler
No. Look at picture rogerh provided.

Sent from my phone

The pic I posted was a cable that came with the power supply. I wanted to know if the adapter cable would connect to those ends I posted and then be good to go.

diedrichg

Wizard
The pic I posted was a cable that came with the power supply. I wanted to know if the adapter cable would connect to those ends I posted and then be good to go.
Yes, your cables (Molex) will connect to the adapter that roberth posted.

Last edited:

rogerh

Guru
I think it will work fine (with all respect to gpsguy), those are just rather snazzy black molex female plugs and the adapter has a more traditional translucent (?nylon) male plug on it.

diedrichg

Wizard
I think it will work fine (with all respect to gpsguy), those are just rather snazzy black molex female plugs and the adapter has a more traditional translucent (?nylon) male plug on it.
I've always liked that design, all you have to do is squeeze the humps and it is supposed to push the male connector out.

Shay.ca

Dabbler
Ordered my processor :)

http://ark.intel.com/products/80917/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1226-v3-8M-Cache-3_30-GHz

I think I am going to just use the stock fan for now unless someone chimes in saying its a bad idea.

Any suggestions on the best brand of USB stick for running the freenas files off of?

Did I read correctly somewhere that you could use two usb sticks and they would mirror so if one died the second would pick up?

Recommendations on USB sticks?

All I need now are 3 more 3tb RED drives and then the sata splitter adapter.

Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.