BUILD Comments on my build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty Carlo

Cadet
I'm planning to build a FreeNAS home server and my budget is on the tight side. Can anyone comment on these components especially in regard to the motherboard/processor choice:

Motherboard: ASRock E3C2262I
Case: Lian Li PC-Q25B
CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 (may consider upgrading to Xeon e3 1200 down the line)
RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR3 Unbuffered ECC
Power Supply: Seasonic SSR-360GP 360 watt, Gold Cert
Hard Drive: WD Red 2 TB (unsure on the number of drives, but no more than 3)

Also, will this setup support a ZFS file system?

EDIT: Those were supposed to be 2 TB

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi Monty,

Here's my thoughts:

The board, proc & RAM are just want you need for zfs, so no concerns there.

The case creeps me out since the top 2 drives are out of the direct airflow of the fan. I don't know what that means the top drive will heat up to.....if it will be just a little warmer or fairly toasty.

I'm not sure how you want to lay out your drives, but I wouldn't start with a 3 drive raidz (particularly with 4TB drives). Remember that you can't expand a pool by adding single disks & with a system this size I would recommend starting out with all the drives you intend to use and just do it right the first time (I would aim for a 6 drive raidz2).

-Will

Richman

Patron
The case creeps me out since the top 2 drives are out of the direct airflow of the fan. I don't know what that means the top drive will heat up to.....if it will be just a little warmer or fairly toasty.
Actually, the top drive is out of the flow of air. The second one from the top is clearly in the line of fire. The top of that drive should align with the top of the fan.
I'm not sure how you want to lay out your drives, but I wouldn't start with a 3 drive raidz (particularly with 4TB drives). Remember that you can't expand a pool by adding single disks & with a system this size I would recommend starting out with all the drives you intend to use and just do it right the first time (I would aim for a 6 drive raidz2).

-Will

I second that notion. All in favor? ...............(mutter, mutter from the crowed) .........
I think the I's have it. The notion carries.

fracai

Guru
I have this case and haven't had any problems with heat. There is also the fan at the top and the PSU that seem to keep air flowing everywhere.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi guys,

Fair enough, I didn't see the top fan, but I would expect Lian Li to have that sorted out....they do have a reputation for putting out some good stuff.

-Will

Monty Carlo

Cadet
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll have to look closer at my budget, but we will see. ;)

Monty Carlo

Cadet
I think it is a good idea to go with Raidz2, but besides having the extra storage space, what is the advantage of 6 vs 4 x 2 TB drives? I don't feel like I would ever use the 7-8TB of usable space from a 6 x 2 TB configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.