No network on startup

tre4B

Dabbler
I am using TrueNAS Scale on a QNAP machine. All seems to be working now apart from one quite annoying thing I cannot work out.

When I start the device it does not get a network connection. Looking at the network interface configuration at that time I see no IP4 address (my network does not have IPV6 configured).

The device will stay like this from this point on and I will have no access to the web. If however on the box itself I choose option 7 to go to the linux shell then immediately exit the shell, I then gain an IP4 address on the network interface and everything works correctly, the box becomes available from the internet etc.
This is clearly not ideal and I would like to understand why this is happening.

Currently I only have one of two network adapters plugged in. I have also tried using refresh on the configuration menu. Occasionally this two will make an IP4 address appear, though very sporadically.

Any ideas?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Have you set a static IP in the GUI?

the box becomes available from the internet
This statement concerns me.

Are you exposing you NAS directly to the internet? If you are, don’t.

tre4B

Dabbler
Nope I am using a DHCP IP. Plan will be to put it back in the network cupboard where I have two network connectors then double team the adaptors(assuming I can with TrueNAS). Even then though I normally set the address as Static in DHCP rather than on the box. Is this a must do for TrueNAS?

The box is not on the internet, sorry loose choice of wording. Part of the reason I am moving to TrueNAS though is for something more secure, the other reason is I prefer Open source to vendor specific.

sretalla