SOLVED No IP Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKK

Dabbler
I'm attempting an install from USB. The install runs to the Console Setup Menu. No IP address is received. I try Option 1 - Configure Network Interfaces and no selections appear.

Here is the hardware:

MB Gigabyte-78LMT-S2P the onboard LAN is Atheros/Realtek GbE LAN chip
Router is Asus AT-68CU with DHCP server is set to Enable

I'm no expert but what I have noticed is that during the install the status light for the ethernet cable port on the router does not light nor are there any "flashing" lights on the cable connection at the MB. I tried another patch cable and no luck.

Any ideas?

BKK

Dabbler
Okee Dokee so now that I'm buying a network card what "real tech" would you suggest? Thanks

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Give gpsguy a cigar. :smile: Intel Pro/1000 CT Desktop adapter is just fine. No need to worry about the "desktop" really. Intel's desktop parts are better than many of their competitor's server class parts.

BKK

Dabbler
Picked up and Intel Pro 1000 installed and success I have an IP address. Thanks for your help. I had given Amahi a try before getting frustrated and coming over to FreeNAS, should have come here first!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Incidentally, I apologize if you took that the wrong way. I've gotten kind of tired of explaining why Realteks suck so the hamster thing is a handy search term, and it is kind of fun to picture a little hamster on a wheel furiously spinning away as the thing that makes your Realtek ethernet go. Anyone who's had a hamster and seen them suddenly stop in the wheel - and spin entirely around around it - plus other antics, can probably appreciate it.

BKK

Dabbler
Hey no need to apologize it was funny - in fact I called my son over and we had a chuckle

Status
Not open for further replies.