SOLVED Fresh install on FreeNas compatable h/w - getting the 0.0.0.0 no web gui

NigelNoFriends

Explorer
Hi Team,

Fresh install on new USB. New storage HDDs (have not had a FreeNAS install on them). All other hardware is the same - I have run FreeNAS (older versions) on it before.
I was running OMV up until yesterday. I backed-up all my data then put replaced the OS USB with a freshy and installed. No network connection. Odd, since I was using the very same network not an hour ago (didn't touch the network cable, same router hardware and software, I don't have any reserved IPS/MACadds etc on the router.)
Have tried all I can think of and am still get no IP and can't ping it - not showing in my router either.
Done all the basic stuff - reboots to wahzoo. Option 8 to reset. Option 1 to reset and try with DHCP and then without and give it an IP (192.168.1.149 + 255.255.255.0 + no IPv6). I have even tried reinstalling in UFEI (because first time i used bios). Have reset the router back to factory. Have tried all the other ports on the router with different cables, just for the sake of it.

NB: using the newest version of freenas installer, downloaded yesterday. Using FM2A88X-ITX+ MoBo, has a Qualcomm Atheros AR8171

Let me know if any other info will help - thanks in advance.

Last edited:

gpsguy

Please provide us with detailed hardware information, per the forum rules.

Do you have a Realtek NIC? Often, these might be incompatible. Adding an Intel NIC is usually an easy fix.

NigelNoFriends

Explorer

Do you have a Realtek NIC? Often, these might be incompatible. Adding an Intel NIC is usually an easy fix.

Just on way to work - will try and find out when I get home of exact NIC.
However, as noted above, I have run FreeNAS off this same hardware in the past with no issues. So unless the newer FreeNAS builds have dropped compatibility, I don't think this will be the issue.

NigelNoFriends

Explorer

Qualcomm Atheros AR8171 is what the Motherboard page tells me.
Worth noting, when I tried setingup the network (through option 1 - IPv4, no DHCP, no IPv6 in the 192.168.1.199/24 format) my router could see the Nas - mac address, IP etc. But I still could not access the webgui and I could not ping the nas...

gpsguy

Pick up an Intel Pro/1000 CT. Cost is about $30 USD. It will solve your problems and outperform your Atheros NIC.

One can't compare an older (unknown version) of FreeNAS to the latest. If it were FreeNAS 0.7 aka NAS4Free aka XigmaNAS - that's a different product.

NigelNoFriends

Explorer
[SOLUTION] My solution (which I very much doubt will be the norm) was to re-flash BIOS. No explination why, but this is the only thing that worked! Picked up an IP on first boot.:)