No internet connection after upgrading from 11.3 to 12.0

Correct - try using DHCP reservations for the jails.

chravis

Contributor
Ok I'm all up and running now. I cannot explain what the difference is between 11.3 and 12.1 that caused my issues. What I know is that things worked on 11.3, I upgraded, then things didn't work. It is possible that things were working on 11.3 but shouldn't have been, and then 12.1 tightened things up causing issues.
The leading issue is the same as the first post in this thread - my jails lost all internet access and thus couldn't download any updates. Ultimately this is what I did that solved my problems (with @Newfoundland.Republic 's help).
But first here's a recap of the situation -
Before upgrading, and when I thought everything was working properly, I was using the DHCP server on my router to reserve an address for the TrueNAS server, 192.168.1.26. This seemed to work as I could use the TrueNAS GUI without any problems at that address.
I had 4 jails - Plexpass, Mineos, Mysql, and Tomcat. For all 4 jails I did not use DHCP, but instead set a static IP in the configuration:
Plexpass - 192.168.1.36
Mineos - 192.168.1.16
Tomcat - 192.168.1.22
Mysql - 192.168.1.20
And by the way - I had already configured my router to not assign any IPs lower than 192.168.1.50, so all of my static TrueNAS IPs are out of the DHCP range.
The Plex jail was the only one configured to use VNET and Berkeley Packet Filter (BPF). I don't recall why I didn't turn those on for the others. I guess I tried them without and they worked, so I didn't bother (partly because I don't fully understand what those settings even do).
After upgrading to TrueNAS 12.1, my jails lost connectivity, my TrueNAS GUI was been broadcasted on multiple IPs, and my router was seeing the wrong IP addresses mapped to MAC addresses - so things were hosed.
So I turned off all the plugins.
I cleared the address reservation in my router.
In Network > Interfaces (I only have 1 interface), I edited the interface to NOT use DHCP and instead configured it to use the static IP of 192.168.1.26.
In Network > Global Configuration, I ensured that I had the IPv4 Default Gateway configured, along with the Nameserver 1 and 2.
After this I looked at the attached devices in my router and I could see 192.168.1.26. I went ahead and added this to the address Reservation list in my router. I don't really think it matters because TrueNAS isn't using DHCP to get it's IP (so honestly I'm not sure if this is ok or if this redundancy could cause issues), but I like having a list I can look at in my router.

Then I turned on the Plex plugin which was already configured how I wanted it, although I did change the IP to 192.168.1.12.
I then looked at the attached devices in my router and saw 192.168.1.12. I added this to my Address Reservation list (again, even though the plugin is not using DHCP - I just like having everything in a list I can see).
I made sure I could get to the Plex GUI page, and also that my Roku could hit Plex.
All was well!

Then I edited the Mineos plugin with VNET and BPF turned on and the default interface and router configured, and set the IP to 192.168.1.14. I turned it on, saw the IP in my router attached devices, and added to the Address Reservation table.
I then made sure I could get to the MineOS admin page. All good!

I did the same thing for the Mysql and Tomcat plugins.

After all of that, all 4 jails are working. And when I go to the shell and type /etc/netcli I only see one IP address for the TrueNAS interface, which is what I wanted and expected.

Last edited: