No internet connection after upgrading from 11.3 to 12.0

Carter0108

Cadet
Hi guys,

I've searched the forums desperately trying to fix my issue but have had no luck. I rather stupidly decided to upgrade from FreeNAS 11.3-U5 to TrueNAS 12.0 despite having no real reason to. Everything was working fine before but now after the upgrade my NAS cannot access the internet. I can't check for updates or install plugins and going into the shell and trying to ping google.com brings back "Host name lookup failure".

All the posts I've found with similar issues talk about DNS settings but I really don't understand what most of them are talking about. When I built my NAS back in April it was just plug and play. Any idea what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Any idea what I'm missing?
Well, the DNS settings that you glossed over would be a good place to start:
1608507532475.png

chravis

Contributor
I am having this same issue. For no real reason other than to stay up-to-date I also decided to upgrade from 11.3 to 12. The upgrade appeared to go ok, but when I try to run something in the shell such as "iocage upgrade mineos" (the mineserver plugin), I get all kinds of errors saying it cannot connect to github
Code:
Failed to update git repository: fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/ix-plugin-hub/iocage-plugin-index.git/': Couldn't connect to server

I also found the posts suggesting to make sure I had DNS set in Network > Global Configuration (which I did not have set - apparently 11.3 didn't care about DNS). So, I set those to various things, rebooting the server, and trying the plugin upgrade all with the same result. I also cannot ping www.google.com from the shell. Currently I have Nameserver 1 set to my router ip, but I've tried 8.8.8.8 and also the DNS ips that are configured in my router.
dns.PNG

Is there another config that I can try that v12 cares about that v11.3 didn't?

Hmmm... Try pinging 192.168.1.1 to make sure you can get to the local nameserver (and gateway). If you are on the same subnet (e.g., 192.168.1.x) with your workstation, you will not need to "leave" the subnet. If that works, try pinging 8.8.8.8 and see if you can reach the nameserver using the IP instead of the name.

Take a look on the CLI at /etc/resolv.conf and make sure that your nameservers are in the configuration (they should be).
You can also try using the host command on the CLI: host www.google.com 8.8.8.8 (and 192.168.1.1) which will force the lookup to use 8.8.8.8 (or 192.168.1.1).

chravis

Contributor
pinging 192.168.1.1 works, but pinging 8.8.8.8 does not (no route to host message). My resolv.conf looks ok to me I think:
resolv.png

I can ping 8.8.8.8 from my laptop so I think my router itself is ok. I'll admit that I'm not a network guru so I'm a bit out of my league here.

Here is what netstat -4rn looks like. Should there be something for the default route?

netstat.png

Last edited:

chravis

Contributor
What also seems a little weird is this - I have 4 jails. I am not using DHCP for any of them. Instead, I have configured an IP for each of them (outside of the DHCP IP range set in the Netgear R6900 router). You can see what is what in this picture:
list.png

I thought the freenas server itself was 192.168.1.26 (although now I'm getting confused).

In my router configs, I have reserved 192.168.1.26
address_reserve.png

However, when I look at the attached devices in my router it shows an entry for that same reserved MAC address but with the IP address of the tomcat plugin (aside - I have no idea why it says RackMac or where that came from. I tried to edit it and it won't change).
It's also interesting that I see an entry for IP address 192.168.1.36 (which is the plex plugin) but the MAC address doesn't match up to the plex plugin when I do ipconfig from the shell in freenas (it shows a MAC of 6c:2b:59:30:63:77)

attached.png

plexpass.png

So I'm not sure what the heck is going on. Unfortunately I didn't look at my router settings before the upgrade to TrueNAS 12 so I don't know if it was always looking like this or not.

You might consider getting the MAC addresses for the FreeNAS TrueNAS box and the MACs for each of your jails. Then delete any of the static DHCP reservations and then re-adding them to your router. It could be your router's DHCP list is "confused".

chravis

Contributor
@Newfoundland.Republic Thanks and I agree. I think I'll do what you suggested. A couple questions that maybe you can answer first. When I do ifconfig I see information specific to the plexpass jail, but not any of the other jails. Is there a reason for that? I sort of thought that I would at least see something for the Tomcat jail since my router seems to be picking up that IP address for some reason.
The main difference between the Plex jail and the other three jails, is that the Plex jail has vnet and berkley packet filter turned on. The other three do not.

And, would you suggest that in my router I reserve all the IPs and MACs for all 3 plugins even though it's only seeing two of the addresses?

Finally, how do I confirm what the IP of the TrueNAS box actually is?

chravis

Contributor
I'm definitely confused about how things work. For kicks I went to the shell and used the command /etc/netcli and it shows the following:

netcli.png

Why does it list all those IPs for the user interface? (again -16 is the MineOS plugin, -20 is Mysql jail, -22 is Tomcat jail, and -26 is the TrueNAS machine itself). It's interesting even that the Plex plugin IP is not showing (ending in -36) and the Tomcat jail is only showing in https.
Again, the difference between all of the other jails vs the Plex is that Plex has vnet and BPF. Maybe those are making Plex behave how I thought it should?

I feel like I'm missing some basic knowledge, not so much the "how" (I can read the docs about where the buttons are) but more so the "why" and suggested configurations.

Also, @Carter0108 I apologize for hijacking your thread. It seemed we had a similar issue so I jumped on the thread. Hopefully some of this discussion is helpful.

I'm not quite sure what is going one here. ^^
What I do for my jails is to actually go into the jail and get it there.e.g.
Code:
jls
jexec jail_number /bin/csh
ifconfig

to confirm what the IP.

Can you give screen shots of your jails' Basic Configuration and Network Configuration screens (GUI version)?

chravis

Contributor
Plex jail:
plex_jail_1.png

plex_jail_2.png

MineOS Jail (this one says it's on version 12 but it failed during the upgrade due to no network and is not actually working)
mineos-jail-1.png

mineos-jail-2.png

MySQL jail:
mysql-jail-1.png

mysql-jail-2.png

Tomcat Jail:
tomcat-jail-1.png

tomcat-jail-2.png

For the MineOS, MySQL and Tomcat jails set the Berkeley Packet Filer and VNET to on.

chravis

Contributor
Ok, so I tried with just the Mysql jail. I made sure it was running and I could connect to the database using Mysql Administrator from another machine. All good. Then I stopped the jail, checked vnet and bpf and set the default router as below:
mysql_vnet.png

It saves but then when I try to start it it says "Error No Default Interface Found." Maybe related to that vnet_default_interface field, but it's greyed out so I can't change anything. I also tried leaving the Default Router to "Auto" but same result. Also, even though I get the error, it does say the jail is running, even though Mysql is not reachable from another machine.

Hmmm... I have all of my jails using VLANs so I'm figuring this out with you. :smile:

I don't think that you need to set up a bridge. Do you have one (1) NIC or multiple?

chravis

Contributor
You've officially gone over my head with that question. I would assume one because I'm not smart enough to handle multiple. But I'm decent at providing screen shots if there's more info I can send your way :)

And I sincerely appreciate your time and attention.

chravis

Contributor
Also - Currently my router is reserving 192.168.1.26 for the TrueNAS machine. Should I instead modify the interface (em0), turn off DHCP and set the static IP there? Does that achieve the same result as reserving the address in the router?

For TrueNAS itself, I would recommend that you manually set the IP address (plus gateway, DNS, etc.).

DHCP Autoconfigure IPv4 - CHECKED
NAT - UNCHECKED
VNET - CHECKED
Berkeley Packet Filter - CHECKED

Try that and see if it works.

chravis

Contributor
DHCP Autoconfigure IPv4 - CHECKED
NAT - UNCHECKED
VNET - CHECKED
Berkeley Packet Filter - CHECKED
What am I trying that on? The Mysql jail? I didn't want to use DHCP because I thought that meant the IP could change, but I need to always know what the IP is.

You can try it on whichever one you want. You CAN configuration your DHCP server to have a static entry (reservation). You can get the MAC (hardware) address by going into the jail's shell and typing ifconfig. In the output you will see: hwaddr.

In your router set up a static entry (reservation) by putting in the MAC and the IP you wish to have assigned. Note that the IP will have to be outside of the DHCP range (they are for dynamic assignments).

chravis

Contributor
Just so I'm clear - are you talking about reserving an IP in my router for a specific jail? What you're suggesting is what I'm currently doing for the server but I have not reserved any IPs for jails.