No configured interfaces found - Need help troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I've been using FreeNAS on an old work PC for some years now with little trouble apart from the odd death of a HDD. However I will say my knowledge of FreeNAS has only ever been just enough to get it to work.
Recently, after I had moved a different PC and made some cabling adjustments (including unplugging FreeNAS box) I noticed that FreeNAS was no longer accessible and threw a message "No configured interfaces were found. Try to do it manually."

1st thought - Try to configure network interfaces (option 1) - FAILED
2nd thought - Cable might be broken - Nope, tested cable on different PC and was able to connect to network fine
3rd thought - Perhaps ethernet port is dead - Purchased a PCIE network port on Ebay and tried again (getting hopeful) - FAILED
4th thought - Maybe if I download latest FreeNAS and try again - FAILED with exactly the same message

Now I feel like I'm pushing the limits of my knowledge and I'm struggling to know what else to try. I also haven't been able to find another thread that solves my problem. I'm hoping someone can help me troubleshoot this a bit further as I'm not sure where to look first.

During startup I get the following:

re0: link state changed to DOWN
Starting dhclient.
re0: no link.........giving up
/etc/rc.d./dhclient: WARNING: failed to start dhclient
bge0: link state changed to DOWN
Starting dhclient.
bge0: no link.........giving up
/etc/rc.d./dhclient: WARNING: failed to start dhclient

I'd really appreciate any advice on what to do next. Also, sorry if I haven't included relevant information.

Cheers

farmerpling2

Patron
If you type the following at a shell:

ifconfig

what do you see?

Can you also show us what the following command shows about the network?

dmesg

I am guessing that your MB's NIC is not supported by freenas.

Last edited:
In terms of system specs:

HP xw4600 Workstation
FMB-0702 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo
2 x 1 GB DDR2 667 MHz
Nvidia Quadro P588 Graphics

farmerpling2

Patron
2 NIC's are present. Are they plugged into a switch? Do you see the LED's light up where the cable should plug? Do the LED's flash?

Did you try to configure it using option 1 on the menu?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
I have tried to configure using option 1 on the menu. I just end up with the same message.

Working Ethernet cable is plugged into the motherboard NIC, which lights up upon startup but I only see orange light. When it's plugged into the PCIE NIC only the red light flashes.

Regarding the system setup. It may well be suboptimal, but it was working for years. As far as I know nothing has changed including the router or FreeNAS version etc.

BTW is there a way to tell which version of FreeNAS i'm actually running? It says FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p12 on startup but I can't see the FreeNAS version. Like I said I haven't touched it for years.

Last page of dmesg output here http://imgur.com/a/rLQ2g

Status
Not open for further replies.