no boot/kernal/kernal error on usb boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxcross

Cadet
HI,
I have been running version 7x for over 2 years on a HP Microserver, running off USB. This has been running fine as my media server.
Last night i couldnt connect to it, and checked. It looks like it has had an error and rebooted, but now will not boot.
It states;

no boot /kernal/kernal

I can build a newer version or Freenas onto a new USB key, but will i loose my data?
or are there any other ideas as to why this issue has occured?
thanks in advance. really need your help asap.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Your USB flash drive probably just failed on you, corrupted data.

You wont lose your data, but it might be that FreeNAS 8.x+ does not recognize it depending on the type of raid you had.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Also, this forum is NOT for supporting FreeNAS 0.7x. If you had read the forum guidelines section you'd have seen the thread "If using FreeNAS 0.7 Read This".

mxcross

Cadet
Thanks WIlliam. I have built up a new USB to version 8 64bit. This has booted successfully. I will try tonight to read my drives.
I have two mirrors set up with ZFS. any thoughts on how to get the data back with the new version of Freenas?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The manual, section 6.3 describes importing ZFS volumes. Keep in mind that the system requirements for FreeNAS 8.x is different than the FreeNAS you are used to. As such, read section 1.4.2 of the manual to see if you have enough RAM. If you have less than 6GB of RAM you may not be happy with the performance, and if you have less than or equal to 4GB of RAM the system may be unstable. People that have had unstable systems from insufficient RAM in the past have lost their zpools, so be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.