NIC issue with Supermicro x9

jbraveman

Dabbler
I’m trying to transition from a supermicro x7 build to an x9dri-f with freenas 11.3u5.

The previous hardware failed and this lead me to build a new machine. The x9 has 128g of ram. I reconnected all the hardware to the new board with the hopes that I would not have to do a fresh freenas install. I do have a backup of my previous configuration.

After starting it up I got this message:

“The web interface could not be accessed”
I tried:
Configure network interfaces > igb0 and igb1. I tried each on and both produced the same message:
Restarting network failed

Hardware:
The supermicro x9 has dual intel i350 Ethernet ports
Smc version 3.4
Dual Xeon e5 2697 v2 @ 2.7
128gb ddr3
Lsi 9210-8i in hba mode 8 drives
4 additional drives connected to sata connectors (12x 3gb)
Boot drive is ssd

Tried both ports with a new Ethernet cable and that didn’t work.

Any suggestions are appreciated

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
Any activity/status LED's on the LAN ports at the server end of the cable, or the router port at the other end?

Is FreeNAS set to have an IP assigned by a DHCP server?

jbraveman

Dabbler
There are activity lights. On the board it’s solid orange on the left and flashing yellow on the right or the port. The ubiquiti switch is flashing green.

The previous x7 board was assigned a static ip by the dhcp server.

The x9 does not appear on my network and hasn’t since it just got turned on today.

Redcoat

MVP
The x9 does not appear on my network and hasn’t since it just got turned on today.
Is the NIC set to acquire an IP by DHCP?

jbraveman

Dabbler
Where do I do that? When I choose option one to configure the network interface I get an error message.

This is not a fresh install but I hooked all my drives (boot included) up to the new board. I’m wondering if this is going to work.

Redcoat

MVP
Please post a screenshot of the console screen at the end of the boot process.

jbraveman

Dabbler

Thanks for the help

I have tried option 1 multiple times. It asks me if I want to reset the networking to which I say yes. It says that the reset was successful, but Restarting network failed.
I have confirmed that the default route is set to my router 192.168.1.1

Edit:
I will try this next:

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
Try selecting option 1, don't reset the network, then go through and give the selected interface the IPv4 address that you want.

You could/should also try IPMI - look at the Network Settings under Configuration - you should be able to check/confirm the use of DHCP and/or set your desired IPv4 address for the chosen interface there.

jbraveman

Dabbler
That worked. Thanks for the help. Unfortunately the IPMI username and password is not ADMIN/ADMIN. It looks like I need a bootable cd and tool to reset it (used supermicro board). I've never used IPMI before and was wondering how it would be useful.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The TrueNAS GUI IPMI menu should also allow you to reset the password.