X9 -> X11 Upgrade, System Freezing

Adam Flagg

Cadet
Hello all,

I am attempting to upgrade from my X9DRE-TF+ E-ATX build to a more efficient and less powerful build, an X11SSL-F, C232 M-ATX build.

Additional hardware notes:

Old: Dual Xeon E5-2650 v2 CPUs, 192GB DDR3 RAM
New: Single Xeon E3-1240 v6 CPU, 64 GB PC4-19200 DDR4 2400MHz RAM

I had been using two HBAs without issue (one for a few months, one for a few years). A LSI 9211-8i and one is a Dell 8i but I can't locate the specific model on it. When attempting to boot them in the new X11, the Dell is causing a memory code (5 short, 1 long) beep code. I attempted to seat it in all of the PCIe slots, same result. When I remove it and only leave in the LSI unit, the system boots without issue.

This was a workable temporarily solution until I could replace the card, but now it seems the LSI is causing intermittent freezes after about an hour. I've removed every other factor I can think of. For example, I reduced my dual NIC LACP bond down to a single NIC on br0. It still became unresponsive. No pings, no UI, no SSH, unless I did a hard power off, but nothing in the logs upon reboot.

Finally, I removed the LSI card (so only one of my pools is currently online as I'm only able to use my 6 SATA ports) and the system has been up for almost three hours now. Edit: 8.5 hours now.

I'm wondering if someone knows if a subsequent flashing would be required on one/both of these devices to make them work with an X11 unit when they'd already been working successfully before, or if this may be a red herring and it's actually a motherboard issue? I'm still within the eBay return window on the X11. I just really want to shrink down my dual socket X9 E-ATX to have better cable management, less heat, and less wasted cycles. This used to be my all-in-one hypervisor build, but I now have a separate iGPU Plex box and the CPU needs of TrueNAS have been greatly reduced.

Probably not related/important, but I had another X11 board I tried first, an X11SSH-LN4F, but that one refused to get a valid IP for its BMC no matter how much/little RAM I used, even with a V5 test CPU in case of BIOS incompatibility with V6, but.. what are the chances this is actually a RAM issue and not a motherboard or HBA issue?

Thanks for your input.

Edit: I found this thread, specifically regarding an X11 issue, which subsequently linked to a post on Unraid's forums about needing to do a tape mod, similar to shucked hard drives, to overcome some challenges with a Dell HBA, but noting it usually happens to H310s, not an H200. Well, the tape mod allowed me to actually boot with the Dell slotted back in, so I am going to monitor the uptime with only the Dell, no LSI, and see if I get similar lockups.

Edit 2: Here is the boot info I captured from the IPMI iKVM about the Dell. Based on my reading , I'm not sure if this is a good firmware revision?

dell hba info.png

Edit 3: Crashed within 10 minutes after I put it under some light load. Last I saw the CPU and disk temps were all 35-42.

Last edited: