X9 mb not seeing my lsi HBA on boot

Jr922

Explorer
setup:
-supermicro x9dri-ln4f+ mb;
-LSI SAS 9211-8i, flashed;
-6 ssds of varying sizes

Just got a new x9 mb for a 24 2.5" bay server.
My issue is I cant see the HBA at all or any of its drives on boot.
I know the HBA and drives are working because I can access them once booted in to an OS.
I need to be able to boot from these drives though and I'm not sure why the BIOS isnt seeing it. Is this a MB bios or slot issue or?
I also noticed the MB doesn't show a 4 port intel nic on boot either.
On my x11 boards I have no issues with similar setup.

I know a lot of people are running x9 with the same HBA so hopefully I'm just missing something simple.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Do you by any chance only have a single processor installed?

The three PCIe slots closest to the CPU sockets are wired to CPU2 - if you only have one processor, they'll be useless. Move your cards to the farther three.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I need to be able to boot from these drives though
Why? If you are running FreeNAS, you can use a SATA DOM for a boot drive or mirrored pair of them, then keep all the 2.5" drives for storage drives.

Jr922

Explorer
Do you by any chance only have a single processor installed?

The three PCIe slots closest to the CPU sockets are wired to CPU2 - if you only have one processor, they'll be useless. Move your cards to the farther three.

I have 2 e5-2670 v2

Jr922

Explorer
Why? If you are running FreeNAS, you can use a SATA DOM for a boot drive or mirrored pair of them, then keep all the 2.5" drives for storage drives.

Well this actually isn't for freenas, my 2 freenas servers are running fine and I boot them from dual usbs.
This is a proxmox install to go along side the freenas server and do some other lab type stuff, I want to migrate plex and transmission into a promox vm for a bunch of reasons and ill probably migrate my cloud tasks as well since you have to do it through cli anyway and its starting to bother me resetting the token through CLI every so often.

So I could do SATA dom I guess, if the x9 has powered sata, but I dont have one and they are comparatively expensive and would be on the small side for storage although I doubt proxmox needs much just to run the OS. I don't want to do USBs cuz they are annoying, I have 2 120gb ssds that are perfect for a mirrored OS that I wont be doing anything else with.

Honestly, I would just ignore this whole problem and use the onboard sata ports but there is no space at all inside the case to put one or even 2 ssds; and either way, I can see this being an issue in the future if its not detecting anything pci-e on boot.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I have 2 e5-2670 v2
And I just realized that you mentioned you can see the drives once you're booted into FreeNAS ... clearly it's time to go to bed here.

Check the boot order/drive order in your BIOS. I don't think you need the boot ROM on the card either.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I can see this being an issue in the future if its not detecting anything pci-e on boot.
Can you show us the output of sas2flash -list

It should look something like this:
Code:
LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 16.00.00.00 (2013.03.01)
Copyright (c) 2008-2013 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2308_2(D1)

Controller Number              : 0
        Controller                     : SAS2308_2(D1)
        PCI Address                    : 00:03:00:00
        SAS Address                    : 500605b-0-09ef-7220
        NVDATA Version (Default)       : 14.01.00.06
        NVDATA Version (Persistent)    : 14.01.00.06
        Firmware Product ID            : 0x2214 (IT)
        Firmware Version               : 20.00.07.00
        NVDATA Vendor                  : LSI
        NVDATA Product ID              : SAS9207-8i
        BIOS Version                   : N/A
        UEFI BSD Version               : N/A
        FCODE Version                  : N/A
        Board Name                     : SAS9207-8i
        Board Assembly                 : H3-25412-00J
        Board Tracer Number            : SV45308383

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
        Exiting SAS2Flash.

Jr922

Explorer
Cool, Thanks for the replies, I got this working.
My card was on 20.00.07.00 but didnt have the rom.
Swapped it with my other one that has 20.00.07.00 and rom still on it and it booted right up.