SOLVED Supermicro MB won't boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

benraines815

Cadet
So, I pulled the trigger and started ordering everything to build my first FreeNAS server..

I realize this isn't a FreeNAS issue, but I know a lot of people use Supermicro MBs here...

So I purchased a used X9DRL MB, Seasonic 650, Intel Xeon E5-2620, and some Samsung ECC DDR3 memory...

Problem is I can't get the MB to boot up... It has power and but won't boot up to video or give any beeps.

According to the manual I should be able to do a basic setup to test the motherboard:

Motherboard, power supply, CPU W/heatsink and VGA monitor. (No memory needed)
This should at least give me some beeps and a video display...

When I turn the power supply on, the fans start up and it stays on for about 4-6 seconds turns off and starts the process over again.
I get no video or beep codes.
I've checked the jumpers and made sure that VGA onboard is enabled, speaker is set to internal and I reset the CMOS.

So, I'm not sure if the MB or the CPU might be bad...

Any input is appreciated...

wblock

Documentation Engineer
It's been a long time since I tried to boot a motherboard without memory, but it didn't work then and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work now.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Plug in one stick of RAM into the primary slot (refer to your user manual), ensure you have a speaker conected to the SPKR header.

What model motherboard is it? Give the complete model number. Some Samsung RAM, was it on the QVL? You can't just slap any RAM into a motherboard and always expect it to work.

Do you have the CPU in the correct CPU socket? It must be in socket 1.

benraines815

Cadet
Plug in one stick of RAM into the primary slot (refer to your user manual), ensure you have a speaker conected to the SPKR header.

What model motherboard is it? Give the complete model number. Some Samsung RAM, was it on the QVL? You can't just slap any RAM into a motherboard and always expect it to work.

Do you have the CPU in the correct CPU socket? It must be in socket 1.

My MB has a built in speaker and it is enabled with a jumper...

Sorry, I should NOT have said I was trying to get it to boot up.. (Which yes thats the final phase)
So in the beginning, I put the MB in the case, added memory, cpu w/heatink in slot 1 with PSU. Everything is new except for MB, Memory and CPU.
It powered up, but after 10 seconds it shutdown and than started the same process over again, until I powered it off. (I get, No video and no beeps)
So I looked in the manual for troubleshooting..
It suggested using the following setup to get it to at least get a beep.
MB, PSU and CPU.
I have tried this setup with and without memory. It keeps doing the samething.
No beeps....
I believe its the MB or CPU. Problem is I don't have another of either one to test it.
So I'm at a lost...

Below are CPU and Memory requirements and what I have..

My motherboard supports Registered/Load Reduced ECC or Unbuffered
ECC/Non-ECC DDR3 DIMM modules:
I have a couple sticks of the following and tested one at a time:

M393B1K70CHD-CH9 SAMSUNG 8GB(1x8GB) PC3L-10600R REG ECC DDR3L-1333 MEMORY
Hynix 4GB PC3-10600 DDR3-1333MHz ECC Registered CL9 240-Pin DIMM Dual Rank Memory Module Mfr P/N HMT151R7BFR4C-H9-DB
Hynix 4GB PC3-10600 DDR3-1333MHz ECC Registered CL9 240-Pin DIMM Very Low Profile (VLP) Dual Rank Memory Module Mfr P/N HMT351V7BMR4C-H9
Micron 8GB PC3-10600 DDR3-1333MHz ECC Registered CL9 240-Pin DIMM Dual Rank Memory Module Mfr P/N MT36JSZF1G72PZ-1G4D1AD
CPU...
My mobo supports Dual socket R (LGA 2011) supports Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600
and E5-2600 v2 family (V2 needs 3.0 bios)
I purchased a used Intel Xeon E5-2620 V1.

benraines815

Cadet
Well I messaged Supermicro.. Took a few days, but I'm not going to complain with free support...

Turns out I purchased an Engineer Sample CPU and they said more than likely the motherboard does not support my CPU...
They also said it could be my PSU....
But I bought a Seasonic X650 and I think they just said that because I wasn't using a SuperMicro PSU.....

Luckily I only paid $13 dollars for the CPU, so no big loss...
And now I have a good bit of knowledge about ES Intel CPUs and will steer clear of them in the future...

So I purchased a NON ES intel chip that is compatible with the board.. Looking forward to trying it out when it gets in...

benraines815

Cadet
Well, I got another E5-2600 series CPU..

Works great...

So word to the wise.. Stay away from Intel ES CPU's unless you know for sure.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.