NIC issue on ASUS C60M1-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loed

Cadet
Hi there, I´m new to NAS and new to this forum.
I have no experience so far with non windows systems.
but I´m interested in learning...

I posted this question in the german area of the forum, but I might get more replies here, as more people speak english than german...

My hardware ASUS C60M1-I Motherboard with Realtek 8111F NIC.
FreeNAS 8.3.0 p1 64bit
3TB hdd, more to come...

My problem is that I don´t get a network connection from FreeNAS although it worked in the first place...

here´s the history of things that happened:
I loaded the .img file on a USB stick and booted the system.
everything worked fine. I got a network connection was able to open the webinterface and started configuring my system.
could mount drives from my win7 system, even sftp access over dynDNS worked.

As i also want to use freeNAS as a printserver i started to install the plugins.
I think that weas when I made a major mistake:
I used the same IP for the jail directory as for the NAS itself. (Even it was said to use a unique ip)

After that nothing worked.

i don´t get a network connection, the router does only show the MAC adress of the NAS but without name or IP and only sometimes.
On the console it says IP 0.0.0.0
manual configuration from the console doesn´t work.
Then I treid to add the realtek driver mentioned here in another thread.
i believe it worked, but I still get no connection.

I also tried to use a new image on the usb drive.
i used an older versions of freeNAS.
I booted without any hdd.
I made an bios upgrade
i made a router reset.

no success.

i installed win7 and the nic worked fine. so it´s not an hardware issue.

But it worked fine with freeNAS in the first place, so what is wrong?
i have no idea.

one thing maybe of importance:
when booting it says

F1 FreeBSD
F2 FreeBSD
F5 Drive0

F6 PXE

Boot F19

but i cannot really chose, or don´t know how.
has this to do with what will boot?

I hope somebody here can help me.
any suggestions are highly appreciated.

thnaks in advance for your support.

LoeD.

by the way, here is a ifconfig -a log:

re0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500 options=8209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>
ether [my MAC address]
inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseT <full-duplex>)

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384 options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x9
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
nd6 options=3<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV>

edit: It also does not work with freeNAS 32bit...

joeschmuck

Old Man
So you cannot access the GUI because you do not have an IP Address configured.

The easy way is to have a DHCP service and let it assign one automatically to get one configured.
The slightly more difficult way is to configure it through the console. Read the users manual page 42 for help.

You do not need to install a driver for RealTek 8111F, it will work fine. You might want to start from the beginning and rebuild the flash drive again just so you can get rid of the driver.

Loed

Cadet
I used a brand new usb stick today. now it works again.
very confusing...

joeschmuck

Old Man
That is odd but as long as you got it running.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If I were you I would:

1. Never use that USB for FreeNAS again. I might not ever trust it with data again. If I have a problem with a USB stick or other memory based device I use USB Flash Drive Tester. No tool can test 100% of the memory cells on a device because of spare cells and other factors but this is the most complete test I have seen for testing a device. Be warned, the test can take up to several hours depending on the speed and size of the device. I have 2 USB sticks that won't work well at all with FreeNAS. But use them for anything else and they work great. No clue why FreeNAS doesn't like them. I stick to name brands.. Corsair, Kingston, Sandisk, etc. The name brands seem to always work and the one-offs or no-names don't work reliably if at all.

2. Do NOT assign the jail to the same IP again. Keep in mind that once your data in in the zpool you can do just about anything you want to the USB stick and your zpool data is safe. Realistically the biggest inconvenience you could have if you were too stupid to backup your config file would be having to restore all of your settings. The smallest inconvenience would be to make another USB stick, boot from it, then import your config and reboot again. :)

3. Not worry about the BS you just went through. My guess was that either it was your fault(if it was the jail IP thing..not sure I buy this as the reason) or the USB(my first thought was that it was a USB problem).

Status
Not open for further replies.