NFS shares not mounted in bhyve VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomS

Dabbler
Hi there,

I had been running an Ubuntu Server VM on my FreeNAS instance for several years. Since my update to FreeNAS 9.3(?), this VM started to make more and more trouble which was annoying as the VM is used as both DHCP server and as Squid proxy server. I then decided to switch over to bhyve as hypervisor as it is now officially supported by FreeNAS.
I also upgraded to the newest version of FreeNAS (which - by the way - broke my AD services configuration which was running fine until FreeNAS 9.3) and struggled hard to get my VM running again.

Now everything seems to run fine with one minor issue:
I'm also running an ownCloud instance on this VM whose data store is on the FreeNAS disks. Also the cache area for my squid proxy lies on the FreeNAS system, of course.
Back on the old (virtualbox-based) system several years ago I decided to attach the storages using the NFS protocol which was working fine at that time.
Well, it does still, but after a reboot, the file systems are not mounted on the VM. It's easy to mount them manually after the reboot and it is working well, but it's a manual process which was not necessary before. I'm quite sure that there's a way to have the NFS shares automatically mounted even when running on bhyve...
(But I do not want to have a cron job testing every minute or so if the file systems are mounted... Some ubuntu-compliant solution would be definitely preferred...)

Best regards,
Tom

D

dlavigne

I don't think there is a feature request for that yet at bugs.freenas.org. If you create one, post the issue number here.

KrisBee

Wizard

KrisBee

Wizard
I've not seen this in debian , or least not yet. A basic entry to mount a NFS share is all you need in /etc/fstab, e.g.
Edit Post by KrisBee

Code:
#mount remote share
192.168.0.114:/mnt/NasPool/a_share  /home/chris/NFS nfs rw,async,hard,intr,noexec 0 0

After quick test of a fresh VM install using an ubuntu-16.04.3-server-amd64.iso, the same seems to be true. Just a basic /etc/fstab entry mounts the nfs share. Of course this might depend on what other systemd services you have running. The usual suspects in no particular order are permissions, firewalls and systemd config.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.