Nextcloud update to 21.0

adrianwi

Guru
It really is worth spending the time to do that and gain some understanding of how all the components work together.

When I first started using FreeNAS (around 9.2.x I think) I was the same and tried to use the Plugins for everything. Updating was generally a painful process, so I eventually managed to get everything built myself, mainly by following the excellent guides you'll find on here. I soon had enough of an understanding to create some things all by myself!

Before iocage you needed to rebuild the jails to update FreeBSD, but now you can also upgrade the jail OS, I can't remember the last time I had to rebuild one as I can always fix any update problems, or rollback a snapshot and try again if required

ChrisChros

Patron

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

ChrisChros

Patron
I saw that skript, but I don't want the cloud in the WWW. It should run only in my private environment and if I want access the cloud I establish a connection via VPN.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Then just don't open the port on your router ;)

adrianwi

Guru

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The easiest route, especially if you just want to run it on your LAN, is to use the nextcloud package. You still have to configure a database but beyond that it's just setting up attached storage and you're up and running.

adrianwi

Guru
If you are planning to use it seriously, don't use the SQLite database option and configure MySQL/MariaDB. I'd also recommend keeping the jail, database and storage in separate datasets which makes backups and ongoing maintenance much cleaner.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If you are planning to use it seriously, don't use the SQLite database option and configure MySQL/MariaDB. I'd also recommend keeping the jail, database and storage in separate datasets which makes backups and ongoing maintenance much cleaner.

The files yes but the database backup and copying to another location outside the jail can be done via scripts and scheduled tasks in the GUI. I have one of my jails set up like this. Restoring a database backup is simple and quick.