Nextcloud/Owncloud This server has no working Internet connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

I have been using FreeNAS and both of the cloud plugins for a good few years now and I have never had a problem until I upgraded. The issue I assume goes hand in hand but is as follows.
"This server has no working Internet connection. This means that some of the features like mounting external storage, notifications about updates or installation of third-party apps will not work. Accessing files remotely and sending of notification emails might not work, either. We suggest to enable Internet connection for this server if you want to have all features."

Hardware:
First off I am running FreeNAS 11.1 installed on a 16gb USB flash drive as I have always done.
3.4ghz Dual Core
8GB ram
2x Internal 4TB drives for storage etc.

Network:
Cox Comms Modem - Bridged to my ASUS AC5300 router (as always done)
I have set DNS within FreeNAS to google's 8.8.8.8 and all seems good and in working order within FreeNAS.
soon as I login to NextCloud and the admin tab I get that error about how there's no internet for this server. (so strange)

I have done a clean install of FreeNAS in the hopes this will cure the issue. - No this didn't work
I have edited the config file within NextCloud/OwnCloud (since I have tried both setups to see if one works) and added 'has_internet_connection' => true, - No this didnt work
I have added 'maintenance' => false, to the config file because if I try to use the IOS app it states that the server is in maintenance mode, but is not at all in maintenance mode.

I'm not exactly a newbie to this and I have also updated the packages within shell and those update fine no issues. Pinging google or such outside resources no problems.

Is there anyone out there that has had this issue and managed to fix it and if so how?

adrianwi

Guru
I got this error in ownCloud after updating from 10.0.2 to 10.0.4 and posted a comment on the ownCloud forums here > https://central.owncloud.org/t/error-accessing-marketplace/11143

This is actually the only problem I've been able to find as I can access ownCloud externally (both through the WebUI and various sync clients), ping out from the jail, and send e-mails from ownCloud so clearly it has a working internet connection!

The Marketplace error has something to do with cURL and SSL and I was wondering if it was down to the version of my jail. Pretty sure my ownCloud jail is still based on a FreeBSD 9.3 template and other than manually updating ownCloud I haven't updated the jail itself. I actually tried this and it broke everything, so I rolled back a snapshot and am just living with the error as it's not causing me any issues (other than being able to add new Marketplace apps which I don't need to do). The ones I have installed (Gallery, Calendar, Contacts, OnlyOffice) are still working fine.

I'm resigned to rebuilding the jail when I upgrade from 9.10.1-u4 so will worry about this a little more than if it's still broken then!

@AdrianWilliamson not sure this actually helps me but thanks for your story

As an update. If I configure email within the admin of NextCloud it actually sends emails, so if there was no internet to this server, emails wouldnt be going out, unless it's David Copperfield.

bjs.pdx

Dabbler
I'm having what appears to be the same issue. I have two Freenas systems running 11.1-Release. One was upgraded the other was newly installed and in both instances the NextCloud installation gives the same error message about lack of an internet connection. I too can send emails from the systems but I can't seem to reach the apps market place (a different but possibly related issue.)

I've tried setting the option of 'has_internet_connection' in the config file without any change in behaviour. I can ping everything (except nextcloud.com which seems to block pings.) My DNS entries are set in resolv.conf using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as the first two entries.

The error I get for the market place is:

Error core Could not get application: cURL error 35: error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure

Seems to be a somewhat common error on both counts.

snappawapa

Cadet
Following up, did anyone find a fix for this? Would love to be able to add apps to my cloud... I am seeing the exact same behavior described in previous posts, though I am working off of a new install (I didn't upgrade to the version I am on)

adrianwi

Guru
Pretty sure this is down to the age of the jail you're running ownCloud/Nextcloud on, and both of them dropping support for older security (SSL) standards. I fixed it by rebuilding my Warden jail created on FreeNAS 9.3 with an iocage jail created on FreeNAS 11.1-U4.

I don't think there is any way to update the old Warden based jail, although there has been lots of talk about a migration tool for old Warden jails to new iocage jails in 11.2. Maybe worth waiting for that to see if it does?

snappawapa

Cadet
I setup my ownCloud using the plugin, will there be an update to use the new jail type at some point?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
When 11.2 is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.