No Internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you put DNS information into the FreeNAS config. If you are saying you don't have internet connectivity based on what the jail says via a message then enter the jail via SSH and see if you can ping the gateway or something like 8.8.8.8

Lets see if the problem is the jail or the config.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

HPatel027

Dabbler
Did you put DNS information into the FreeNAS config. If you are saying you don't have internet connectivity based on what the jail says via a message then enter the jail via SSH and see if you can ping the gateway or something like 8.8.8.8

Lets see if the problem is the jail or the config.
What should I put in the 3 namesevers?

Generally your router will act as a forwarder, however you can use anything close by. Your ISP will provide at least two and you can also use publicly available ones as well.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
How do I get to that?
You use an SSH client to connect to your server and open the file to see it's contents. ee /etc/resolv.conf

icsy7867

Contributor
This sounds way too complicated for what it is. I dont know why everything is saying to check your DNS servers. I think you should check your network connection first before even worrying about DNS...

You should make sure DHCP is checked. You should not have to set an IP address manually. I have everything set to DHCP and I handle IP address assignments via my router.

If you have DHCP checked and restart your jail, does it list an IP address in the "View Jails" menu? Either way, we should jump into the jail and take a look... In the "View Jails" menu, you should be able to select your jail and click the "Shell" button next to the trashcan.

Once you have a shell open inside the Jail (assuming you dont know how to SSH into freenas and use the "jexec" command), simply type ping 8.8.8.8. If this fails, there is no point in trying to figure out what DNS servers you are using.

If you can ping 8.8.8.8, but not, for example google.com this would indicate a DNS issue. Assuming you can't ping 8.8.8.8, what is your output of "ifconfig"?

This sounds way too complicated for what it is. I don't know why everything is saying to check your DNS servers. I think you should check your network connection first before even worrying about DNS...

You should make sure DHCP is checked. You should not have to set an IP address manually. I have everything set to DHCP and I handle IP address assignments via my router.

If you have DHCP checked and restart your jail, does it list an IP address in the "View Jails" menu? Either way, we should jump into the jail and take a look... In the "View Jails" menu, you should be able to select your jail and click the "Shell" button next to the trashcan.

Once you have a shell open inside the Jail (assuming you don't know how to SSH into freenas and use the "jexec" command), simply type ping 8.8.8.8. If this fails, there is no point in trying to figure out what DNS servers you are using.

If you can ping 8.8.8.8, but not, for example google.com this would indicate a DNS issue. Assuming you can't ping 8.8.8.8, what is your output of "ifconfig"?

Actually already touched on the point of checking connectivity in the jail. Nothing was ever said by the OP about it to know if they did as asked. However the image that was posted asking where to put in the gateway did not have the DNS populated. However DHCP does not give a jail DNS servers so it has to be set manually either in the jail or in the main FreeNAS config. Hence the reason for the DNS since if it isn't configured a lot of the plugin's will fail to have internet connections.

I suspect that quite a few people could go in and solve the problem in about five minutes. However walking someone else through everything they need to handle is a step by step process. I suspect they do not even know how to enter the jail to do a ping.

TDesouza

Cadet
I'm having the same issue, can't do any updates or plugs...Did you guys figure this out?

Thanks for the support!

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Uncheck VIMAGE in the jail parameters, verify the network parameters are ok (I didn't read the whole thread but I assume you did a lot of tinkering) and reboot the jail.

hopey

Cadet
Hello toghether,
I have the same issue. Nextcloud 10.0.1 from the plugin and freenas 11.1-U2.

@BiduleOhm: You need some clicks to disable VIMAGE. Had to disable DHCP, than I was able to deselect VIMAGE (activated DHCP again). Starting of jail fails. Select VIMAGE again, jail started :S

Bad thing is: Support for 10.0.1 will be stopped soon. So all aps, etc. connecting to the server shouldn't be updated anymore. And that's hard if you have android 8 (some apps have some bugs with the new android).

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Ah, I guess you can't use DHCP without VIMAGE, I don't use DHCP so I didn't saw that, sorry.

hopey

Cadet
@nightshade00013 yes, I'm able to ping the DHCP and google.com. I'm even able to send mails out of the nextcloud web interface! But nextcloud itself has a problem anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.