Nextcloud not working

trek102

Dabbler
I installed Nextcloud Jail a few months ago and it was running fine. When I restarted the Jail now abd access the Nextcloud IP via HTTP, I get this error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator if this error reappears multiple times, please include the technical details below in your report.
More details can be found in the server log.

When I access via HTTPS, I get this error:

This site can’t provide a secure connection
"MyNextCloud-IP" sent an invalid response.

ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

What am I doing wrong?

Probably a faulty webserver config, you better ask the nextcloud folks.

trek102

Dabbler
Probably a faulty webserver config, you better ask the nextcloud folks.
But its streight out of the Truenas Jail. If that Jail doesn't work then Truenas is not a solution for me. Are there no NC users on here?

tn06.jpg

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
But its streight out of the Truenas Jail. If that Jail doesn't work then Truenas is not a solution for me. Are there no NC users on here?
There is a Nextcloud user and support forum ...

trek102

Dabbler
I am not sure what rule I have to read here. I am trying to decide if Truenas is a good platform for me. Nextcloud is a core application and it has 1000 variations and features being discussed in the NC forums. However, I am concerned about this particular NC-Jail which out of the box does not even work. Therefore I am asking Truenas experts if they have similar experience. NObody in Nextcloud Forums will be familiar with Truenas Jails.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
NObody in Nextcloud Forums will be familiar with Truenas Jails.
A TrueNAS jail is a virtual FreeBSD environment. Everything in there is standard Nextcloud on FreeBSD.

You could start with the web server's error log to find the cause for that "internal server error". Where that log is located depends on whether you are running Apache, Nginx or Caddy.

ornias

Wizard
I am not sure what rule I have to read here.
Ohh, how much fun! :-D

"Please Search Before Posting"
That includes showing you googled your issue yourself and which solutions out there you already tried

"Posting To Get A Response"
That includes explaining your setup and adding logs when you encounter errors

"Inline Code and Code Tags"
This includes using tags around the error you posted, as your post is super hard to read now

"Solicitation of Support"
This gets pretty close to "I request someone to fix this", which would mean you need to file a Jira ticket instead

trek102

Dabbler
Ohh, how much fun! :-D

"Please Search Before Posting"
That includes showing you googled your issue yourself and which solutions out there you already tried

"Posting To Get A Response"
That includes explaining your setup and adding logs when you encounter errors

"Inline Code and Code Tags"
This includes using tags around the error you posted, as your post is super hard to read now

"Solicitation of Support"
This gets pretty close to "I request someone to fix this", which would mean you need to file a Jira ticket instead
speachless

Let's pretend for a moment you had NC working on Windows or macOS. You then upgraded NC and it stopped working. Is it okay to then say to the Microsoft or Apple community `But its streight (sic) out of the Windows (macOS). If that doesn't work then Windows (macOS) is not a solution for me. Are there no NC users on here?' If you think this is absurd, why are you applying this same logic to TN?

I am concerned about this particular NC-Jail which out of the box does not even work.
This is a contradiction with your opening statement...
I installed Nextcloud Jail a few months ago and it was running fine.

So, let's get this right. NC was working on TN. You upgraded NC. Nothing changed with TN. The only thing that changed was NC. Why is it suddenly a TN problem?

That's not to say there still isn't an issue with how NC is framed on TN, but you need to convince forum members here that it isn't, first and foremost, an NC problem. It's not up to this community to resolve your NC issues. As @Patrick M. Hausen has advised, there is an NC forum for that.

I am not sure what rule I have to read here.
Everything that @ornias has spoon-fed to you. There's a healthy, vibrant and helpful community here, but if you don't bother to follow some basic guidelines, you're not going to get much help at all. The onus is on you to provide as much information as possible to help forum members assess how you should proceed with troubleshooting. Start by providing a context:
  1. How did you install NC? Did you use an NC plugin? Did you use a scripted resource such @danb35's Scripted installation of Nextcloud 21 in iocage jail? Did you install NC some other way?
  2. What version of TN or FN are you using?
  3. What hardware is TN running on (see the guidelines for what sort of details you should be providing)?
  4. Supply relevant NC logs (see your OP and @Patrick M. Hausen's post #7 for guidance). Remember to place logs between the code tags that @ornias referred to in post #8.
Once you supply this information, forum members will be able to suggest a troubleshooting strategy, whether it be through this forum or the NC forum.

As a long-standing member of the TN community (I see you joined in 2014), we shouldn't have to spell this all out to you.

Last edited:

trek102

Dabbler
This Forum is so argumentative and patronising. People had warned me about the Truenas Forum being like that but I am really surprised. All I asked for was some sharing of experience or ideas how to solve a pretty basic issue with one of the Truenas Jails. And I am sure its not a NC issue but a Jail settings or Truenas Settings issue. Anyway, its your Forum so if course its your prerogative to respond to people as you like.
I will check the logs (Thank you Patrick for the one constructive reply) and then speak to people on the Nextcloud Forums to see if anyone is using NC in a Truenas Jail or if they ever heard of Truenas.
Happy Friday!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
how to solve a pretty basic issue with one of the Truenas Jails
What gives you the idea this is the case?

I'm a really experienced TrueNAS user and Nextcloud admin. My company sells managed Nextcloud services. Yet, I have no f'ing clue what could be the "basic issue" with your installation. All my Nextcloud instances are running perfectly in their respective jails, some on TrueNAS, some on plain FreeBSD jails. The problem is that you have given no information whatsoever about your setup. I'm always willing to help, but I am not a mentalist!

So, sorry - no idea. Please describe how exactly you installed Nextcloud, which web server you are using, how you set up SSL/HTTPS, ... I can tell you where the log file is if I know your web server, but currently ... no chance.

And no, this is most probably not a TrueNAS problem at all. You obviously get a network connection to some web service inside your jail. From that point on TrueNAS is not interacting with your browser, anymore - the web server inside the jail is.

HTH and is not too "patronising". :wink:

Edit: I have to add one more thing, because this happens so frequently. There is a common misconception with respect to tech support. People who request support seem (to me) to assume that
  • they tell me a cryptic error message like ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR
  • I go through my mental or written list and come back with "oh, yeah - that's the foo misconfiguration, which you can fix precisely like so ...
That is not the case. If you assume that every error you encounter is
  • one of a kind
  • particular to your specific installation and environment
  • absolutely the first one of this kind seen by your supporter
  • to be investigated individually
you will be much much closer to the truth.

Last edited:

trek102

Dabbler
Thanks Patrick.
I installed Nextcloud by downloading the Jail and launching it.
I have no SSL currently, only using NC internal LAN for now. I typed in the internal IP and accessed the NC portal to do the initiation of NC.
THen I have not used NC for several months and now when accessing the NC portal via my internal IP, the above error shows up.
I am using port 8282 to access the NC portal as this is whats written in the Truenas Jail settings.

I am using NC
Version: 21.0.2
Release: 12.1-RELEASE-p13
===========================
I understand your "misconception point"

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Sorry, I don't know the plugin well. On this forum it is generally recommended not to use it at all but create a standard VNET jail with its own IP address instead. @danb35 has created a script that simplifies the installation of Nextcloud in a standard jail a lot if you want to go that route.

If not we can still have a shot at that error. Please look in /var/log inside your plugin jail if there is a file named httpd-error.log or similar. Or something with the name "nginx.*" - in that error log file we will probably find a hint at what is going wrong.

trek102

Dabbler
/var/log has none of the mentioned folders but a folder nginx. Inside that there are 2 files access.log and error.log
Unfortunately, in truenas-Jail shell copy/paste does not work.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Use ssh, putty, whatever fits your desktop OS. The error.log is what we need.

trek102

Dabbler
How do I SSH into the Jail? If I SSH from Trunas using the VNet IP, it says Connection refused

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You would need to enable the ssh service inside the jail. But more easily you can SSH to your NAS and use iocage list to get the name of the jail and then iocage console <jailname> to get a shell inside the jail.

And of course you can do cd /mnt/<poolname>/iocage/jails/<jailname>/root/var/log/nginx from the NAS to get at the logfiles ...