Nextcloud has no Internet

Meya

Dabbler
Hello all!
I've been reading the forums for quite a while and you guys have helped me on a few occasions to solve some issues. This time, I can't do it. I have read many threads about Nextcloud with no Internet but nothing similar to my problem. A friend helped me to install Nextcloud and it was working fine until one week ago. He also set up a cron job for the certificate to renew by itself but since NC has no access to the Internet I am getting the emails that the attempt failed. I suspect the issue is the change of my public IP from my Internet provider since it also happened a week ago and I remember my friend setting up a nano file where he put the old IP (so NC could "listen") in order to access NC though the Internet. To start, I want to say that my knowledge using the CLI is limited since I have been trying to locate the file to update the IP to the new one but I do not even know where to look. I remember he used the command jexec and then the name of the jail which is what I did but past that I am clueless.

I have putty and I know how to access the server but I do not know a command to search for the file or the command to search for the directory where NC is installed. Can someone help me on this? My mom misses uploading and downloading pictures/videos using the app but can't do it for the moment. My server specs should be on my signature.

samuel-emrys

Contributor
Hello all!
I've been reading the forums for quite a while and you guys have helped me on a few occasions to solve some issues. This time, I can't do it. I have read many threads about Nextcloud with no Internet but nothing similar to my problem. A friend helped me to install Nextcloud and it was working fine until one week ago. He also set up a cron job for the certificate to renew by itself but since NC has no access to the Internet I am getting the emails that the attempt failed. I suspect the issue is the change of my public IP from my Internet provider since it also happened a week ago and I remember my friend setting up a nano file where he put the old IP (so NC could "listen") in order to access NC though the Internet. To start, I want to say that my knowledge using the CLI is limited since I have been trying to locate the file to update the IP to the new one but I do not even know where to look. I remember he used the command jexec and then the name of the jail which is what I did but past that I am clueless.

I have putty and I know how to access the server but I do not know a command to search for the file or the command to search for the directory where NC is installed. Can someone help me on this? My mom misses uploading and downloading pictures/videos using the app but can't do it for the moment. My server specs should be on my signature.

This is a difficult question to help resolve as it isn't very specific, and none of us has access to your jail. If it is an issue with updating your public IP, this isn't an issue that will go away without some configuration changes. Did your friend set you up with DDNS provider? How do you access your NC instance over the internet?

For your specific questions, you should be able to use the command locate "filename" to find a file, or if this isn't installed/database not up to date (sometimes the case), you could use the find command: find /dir/to/search -name "file-to-search" (see link for more syntax options)

This might be a broad solution for a very specific problem, but I wrote a guide on installing Nextcloud in an iocage jail recently, with the aim of explaining what happens at each step to be friendly for beginners. Perhaps you could use this to help troubleshoot, or ask more specific questions that we'll be able to help with more readily.

Also, when you say Nextcloud has no internet, do you mean that the jail can't access the internet or that Nextcloud can't be access over the internet? To confirm that the jail has access to the internet, ping google: ping 8.8.8.8. If it can't reach google this won't be a Nextcloud issue and is more likely an iocage or networking issue.

Meya

Dabbler
Were you able to figure this out?
Yes! I found out that I needed to update my public IP in the domain settings of the server. As Samuel said, NC could not be accessed over the internet so that was a hint (it was a networking issue!). Still, thank you for those commands on how to find a file.