Nextcloud and OnlyOffice Integration

Nextcloud and OnlyOffice Integration

listhor

Contributor
It depends on whether the missing features are ones you depend on. (...)
The missing "feature" people were angry about was not saving documents being edited. It's quite important :smile: feature... I've been doing a few tests on my office files and changes are saved; maybe I'm lucky or standalone version of Document Server is not affected. The only problem I did notice is when in spreadsheet there's cell with values to be updated from current and separate spreadsheet. When doing changes in cells being a part of aforementioned cell - cell is not updated until spreadsheet is closed/saved...

Ouch! I should have scrolled down. I didn't read the comments. I haven't personally experienced this issue. Neither have I heard reports of it against this resource configuration. Thanks for raising it though.

For all those who are seeing a loading screen (indefnitly) when opening a document. I had to disable my adblocker.

Screenshot 2021-03-03 143116.png

Want to deploy OnlyOffice using TrueNAS SCALE?

Here's the Compose file used in the original instruction:
Code:
version: '3.3'
services:
  documentserver:
    ports:
      - '8880:80'
    environment:
      - JWT_ENABLED=true
      - JWT_SECRET=secret
    restart: always
    container_name: onlyoffice-document-server
    image: onlyoffice/documentserver

The equivalent SCALE application settings are shown below:

ts01e.jpg

ts02e.jpg

ts03.jpg

ts04e.jpg

Note: The minimum Node Port value is 9000.

Last edited:
If you use a Caddy reverse proxy, basic load balancing of OnlyOffice is a snap!

c08.jpg

In this example, OnlyOffice is highly available, but the arrangement is only suitable in an environment where there's no document collaboration. The reason for this is that current OO architecture supports document collaboration within a single instance of OO, but not across multiple instances of OO.

Important note: OnlyOffice is not yet a scalable application. For more information, refer to OO blog post ONLYOFFICE App Server: microservice architecture for scalability and clustering.

Last edited:

gt2416

Patron
To add some feedback on this, their 100% compatibility claim is false. I recently had to edit a excel timesheet from work and could not using Onlyoffice. Other than that its been a good add-on to my Nextcloud but its a bit slow to open documents. Collaborative editing is really sweet, though I've only used it a couple of times. Its is no true Office 365 replacement (especially for business/ enterprises) but its a nice thing to have integrated with Nextcloud. On my PC however, I cant stand using its desktop apps, they just feel weird to me. I luckily have a free Office 365 subscription using my college email (even though I graduated years ago) and will be sticking to that as long as my license works.
If I ever loose my free license I'm pirating 365. No way I'm paying a subscription for desktop apps.

Side note if you use cloudflare as your dns service make sure you turn OFF bot fight mode in your dashboard, otherwise Nextcloud complains it cant get a response from the server.

To add some feedback on this, their 100% compatibility claim is false.

I think the claim is true insofar that OnlyOffice uses the same Open XML document format that MS Office uses so it is 100% compatible. Collabora, on the other hand, defaults to ODF. Any conversion between formats invariably leads to a loss of some metadata or data. The MS article Learn about file formats does quite a good job of explaining this.

I recently had to edit a excel timesheet from work and could not using Onlyoffice.

I think this would be akin to using MS Office 2007 (the Office version that first supported the Open XML format) to edit a document created in MS Office 2019. While there shouldn't be a loss in information, Office 2007 will only be able to work on parts of the document. The additional functionality introduced in later versions of Office is what's required to work on other parts of the document. This will be true of OnlyOffice as well. Having said that, surprisingly, there's some fairly basic functionality that missing in OO. For instance, current versions of OO aren't able to deal with hidden text.

gt2416

Patron
You are probably right, It can read the document, just can't edit it.
That said it was created in Office 2007. Practically speaking I can send this to anyone and be sure they can edit and use the file if they use office. Using onlyoffice, that's not the case. I was just saying that in the real world it doesn't 100% work, I'm sure technically their claim of being 100% compatible is probably right like you said.

gt2416

Patron
Onlyoffice is now on ports !! Tons of hard work but its here on FreeBSD, huge credit to everyone over at git. I was able to install in a jail and so far it runs great.

adrianwi

Guru
Thanks for the heads up. I will check this out, but it's currently working perfectly for me in a small ubuntu VM.

NasKar

Guru

indivision

Guru
I followed the steps for working with TrueNAS Scale. But, it doesn't seem to work.

After filling out the fields in the connector app and click save I get the following error:

Error when trying to connect (Error occurred in the document service: Error while downloading the document file to be converted.) (version 7.0.0.0)

Is there a solution for this?

Sean_Poirier

Cadet
I followed the steps for working with TrueNAS Scale. But, it doesn't seem to work.

After filling out the fields in the connector app and click save I get the following error:

Is there a solution for this?
Bump... I got the same issue. Any update on this?

KevDog

Patron
I'd help but my setup is different. I run only office as a docker container within an Ubuntu vm on scale. I'm aware this isn't what you're doing

indivision

Guru