Nextcloud 12 (released 2017-05-22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

svtkobra7

Patron
I recently investigated Nextcloud (despite it being one of the "available" Plugins and having run FreeNAS for a couple of months) and I'm very eager to deploy on my server. I was able to install Nextcloud 10 via Plugin / Jail quite easily (without doing any research or following a guide), but was somewhat disappointed when I learned that PHP must be upgraded to 5.6 to install Nextcloud 11. This prompted further research on how to deploy Nextcloud 11, with some of approaches looking a bit daunting to be candid (and possibly beyond my current skill set), and then I became aware of the fact that Nextcloud 12 was recently released on 2017-05-22.

I'm aware of 4 approaches to install Nextcloud (there indeed may be more), as listed below. Of course the Plugin only gets you to version 10 and the Virtual Appliance likely only appeals to those running FreeNAS on ESXi (like myself).
With the recent release of Nextcloud 12 and considering some of the installation guides I've reviewed are a bit long in the tooth, I figured I would ask the questions:
  1. What is the best approach to install Nextcloud 12 / Is there other relevant information about pursuing this endeavor?
  2. I believe the Virtual Appliance may be the best approach for me (running FreeNAS on ESXi), but haven't tried to deploy yet - are there any complications / disadvantages to this approach?
I did not find any recent remarks on the topic, so others may be unaware of the release of Nextcloud 12 and/or benefit from the info as well. Thanks in advance.

[Edit: Fixed per @danb35 's comment.]
[Edit: Added Git link per @ElchQ 's comment]

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer

svtkobra7

Patron
No, not 9.1, 9.10. FreeNAS 9.1 is ancient; 9.10 is the current release (10 > 3).
Thanks for the correction, original post has been edited to reflect. Not to go off topic, but the release naming convention is still a bit lost on me. Without an understanding of that (and I'm sure there is a good reason for this), releasing 9.10 after a 9.1 release seems a little nonsensical. To be fair, the release of 9.1 predated my first FreeNAS install by exactly 4 years, so I'd appreciate it if I could take a mulligan on this one. ;)

diedrichg

Wizard
Number 1 is less than number 10. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11... Had they continued, FreeNAS 9.11 could have been next. FreeNAS 9.10 is has FreeBSD 10 as its base. FreeNAS 11 has FreeBSD 11 as its base. FreeNAS 9.1 < FreeNAS 9.10 < FreeNAS 11

danb35

Hall of Famer
Without an understanding of that (and I'm sure there is a good reason for this), releasing 9.10 after a 9.1 release seems a little nonsensical.
Agreed, and there have been several discussions here of that, along with plenty of people confused about it.

FreeNAS 8.x was based on FreeBSD 8.x. FreeNAS 9.x was based on FreeBSD 9.x. FreeNAS 10 was vaporware for quite some time, and was to be based on FreeBSD 10.x--but it was delayed so long that they did a FreeNAS 9.x release on FreeBSD 10 and called it FreeNAS 9.10. When FreeNAS 10 was ultimately released, it was based on FreeBSD 11, renamed to FreeNAS Corral, and then almost immediately killed as it was a hot mess.

danb35

Hall of Famer

adrianwi

Guru
I'd use the Manual Install option you've listed, replacing the ownCloud references with NextCloud.

trentk10

Explorer
Thanks for this thread !!! (and a couple of others) Have a secured nextcloud 12.02 with apache24, mariaDB101, and php7.1

Status
Not open for further replies.