Newer FreeBSD version for package zzlib when doing pkg upgrade in jail

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
I haven't maintained my jails in a little while and I thought I'd pop in and upgrade them again. But alas, pkg upgrade tells me "newer version Newer FreeBSD version for package zzlib", "package 1203000" and "kernel 1202000" (apologies for not copy/pasting the output: copying from the console is not working for me).

I tried if upgrading my jail helped (to the latest, 12.2-RELEASE-p15), but it didn't. The version that I'm running is TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1.

I want to fix some vulnerabilities in my jail by updating. How should I proceed now?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Upgrade your jail to FreeBSD 12.3. 12.2 is EOL.

Better yet, upgrade your TrueNAS to 13 and your jail to 13.1.

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
...yeah, I figured that out myself by now, that TrueNAS 13 is out now. I'm usually prompted to do upgrades by emails that I get from my server, but it doesn't do that when a new train is available. Well, looks like I have some upgrading to do then...

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
Upgrade your jail to FreeBSD 12.3. 12.2 is EOL.

Better yet, upgrade your TrueNAS to 13 and your jail to 13.1.
Just checking: it appears that the TrueNAS GUI isn't offering the possibility to upgrade to a new major release of FreeBSD. I wouldn't mind using iocage directly to do this, but I'd rather do it through the GUI if possible. Could I perhaps be overlooking something?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Sorry, I always use iocage ...

sretalla