pkg error updating a Plex jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Levitt

Explorer
Hi,

I'm running FreeNAS 11.0-U4. I have a Jail setup with Plex installed. Recently, when I try to update the packages in the jail using 'pkg update -f', I receive the following error:
Code:
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
[PlexJail] Fetching meta.txz: 100%	944 B   0.9kB/s	00:01
[PlexJail] Fetching packagesite.txz: 100%	6 MiB   6.2MB/s	00:01
Processing entries:   0%
pkg: Newer FreeBSD version for package sets:
- package: 1101001
- running kernel: 1100122
pkg: repository FreeBSD contains packages for wrong OS version: FreeBSD:11:amd64
Processing entries: 100%
Unable to update repository FreeBSD
Error updating repositories!

From searching the forum and some googling, I've found a few threads that mention the need to upgrade the Jail itself. For example here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/freenas/comments/7s1cgb/pkg_repository_freebsd_contains_packages_for/

or here:
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-upgrade-freebsd-jail-vps/

However, I can't find any step by step guides to do that on FreeNAS (not just generic FreeBSD) while preserving my Plex installation (i.e., not loosing the config, etc).

I'm comfortable with CLI commands, but I just don't have a lot of experience with BSD jails and how they work.

Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated! :)

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Is it a warden based jail or an iocage based jail?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If it's visible in the jails tab of the old GUI then it is a warden jail and is not up gradable.

Mark Levitt

Explorer
Hi..
OK, yeah. It did seem from the threads I found that directly "upgrading" the existing jail wasn't an option.

But, that still leaves me with the original problem of how to continue to be able to upgrade my plex installation. I understand that the high-level answer is to create a new jail and move the existing plex install o that?

If I create a new jail, will it resolve the problem with the mismatch between the jail and package repo?

And, once I create the new jail, how do I preserve the Plex installation from the old jail (i.e., move the existing metadata, etc)?

Also, would it be better to upgrade to 11.1 first and then use an iocage jail? I understand there's no gui for iocage yet, but it can be done with the command line. And, if so, is that a better solution?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Update to the latest version of FreeNAS and create a new iocage jail based on FreeBSD 11.1. Install using the standard jail install guide here on the forum. Copy your existing database and metadata over to the new installation and you should be all set. You can then use the command pkg upgrade to keep it up to date.

Mark Levitt

Explorer
OK, thanks.

One more question...I'm not in any rush to upgrade, so would it be better to wait until 11.2 when iocage jails will be exposed in the GUI?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
OK, thanks.

One more question...I'm not in any rush to upgrade, so would it be better to wait until 11.2 when iocage jails will be exposed in the GUI?
That's exactly what I'm doing. Iocage is present in the new GUI but it's not feature complete yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.