Pkg Not Updating

Andre Clarke

Dabbler
If you are more interested in a quick fix than a long term solution and you can wait for the next TrueNAS release for that, you could try from the TrueNAS host:
Code:
cd /mnt/tank/iocage/jails/Radarr/root/usr/sbin
mv daemon daemon.bak
cp /usr/sbin/daemon .
iocage restart Radarr

HTH,
Patrick
that didnt work

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Any error message?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
It's easy to undo but let's first try to get it to work anyway.

ls -l /usr/sbin/daemon inside the jail - possibly I missed that chmod 555 /usr/sbin/daemon is necessary.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Did you do the copy (cp) command as I wrote above? That should have copied the daemon binary from the TrueNAS system into the jail. Maybe you missed the "." at the end of that command line?

Anyway inside the jail in the directory /usr/sbin you do have a file named daemon.bak? Right? To undo that little procedure just rename it back:

cd /usr/sbin; mv daemon.bak daemon

And the jail is back to 13.3 complete and unaltered but unfortunately also not working.

If you want to retry that copy command and try the 13.1 daemon binary inside your 13.3 jail, then - again from the host, not chrooted into the jail -

cd /mnt/tank/iocage/jails/Radarr/root/usr/sbin; cp /usr/sbin/daemon . - and keep the ".", it means copy to the current directory.

HTH,
Patrick

Andre Clarke

Dabbler
Did you do the copy (cp) command as I wrote above? That should have copied the daemon binary from the TrueNAS system into the jail. Maybe you missed the "." at the end of that command line?

Anyway inside the jail in the directory /usr/sbin you do have a file named daemon.bak? Right? To undo that little procedure just rename it back:

cd /usr/sbin; mv daemon.bak daemon

And the jail is back to 13.3 complete and unaltered but unfortunately also not working.

If you want to retry that copy command and try the 13.1 daemon binary inside your 13.3 jail, then - again from the host, not chrooted into the jail -

cd /mnt/tank/iocage/jails/Radarr/root/usr/sbin; cp /usr/sbin/daemon . - and keep the ".", it means copy to the current directory.

HTH,
Patrick
not seeing those open and close qoute.... where exact should they be

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
In the commands - nowhere. I just placed them in the text description to make that "." (<-- like here) more prominent.

From the host, not the jail, but with the jail started:
Code:
# Change into the jail's /usr/sbin directory from the host
cd /mnt/tank/iocage/jails/Radarr/root/usr/sbin

# Check the state of all "daemon" etc. binaries - there should be one named "daemon.bak"
ls -l daemon*

# If there is one "daemon.bak" but no "daemon" copy the one from the host system in here
cp /usr/sbin/daemon .

# Make sure it is marked as executable
chmod 555 daemon

# Restart the jail
iocage restart Radarr

If any of these gives an error message don't proceed but report that message first :wink:

Andre Clarke

Dabbler
i finally got it working, i really appreciate your time and patients...... when the new version of truenas comes out will i have to reconfigure anything?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
No, just update your jail to the latest minor version of 13.3 which will bring everything to a consistent state again.

Which OS are you coming from? Windows? We essentially renamed a broken ".exe" file to ".bak" and replaced it with an older version of the same program.

And one last word of warning: you can probably pkg update to your heart's content until the end of March. Some day in early April FreeBSD will start building all packages for the 13 branch for 13.3. Once that is finished and the new packages uploaded to the pkg sites, the old 13.2 packages will be removed.

Which means if you update after end of March and before the new TN release there is a high probability things will simply not run just like that daemon program. And because the 13.2 packages will be removed by that time you also cannot go back.

If you decide to run pkg update, best create a snapshot of the jail first. :wink:

EDIT: make that early June - plenty of time.

Last edited:
Maybe this is the wrong question: I thought the whole "stable ABI" thing was meant to make such problems moot? (In that, packages built for 13.x will work across all FreeBSD instances, ranging from 13.0 to 13.3 to 13.whatever.)

Is this issue with daemon a "whoopies" they overlooked, essentially violating their own principles?

Andre Clarke

Dabbler
now this my sabnzbd wont start.....what is going on?

The cause could be bad permissions for /mnt/tank/iocage/jails/Sabnzbd/root/usr/l ib

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Maybe this is the wrong question: I thought the whole "stable ABI" thing was meant to make such problems moot? (In that, packages built for 13.x will work across all FreeBSD instances, ranging from 13.0 to 13.3 to 13.whatever.)
The ABI has not changed. Any old package will continue to run. But a new ABI (kqueuex() system call) was introduced because it was deemed useful. Old binaries don't use that - no ABI change from their point of view. But FreeBSD 13.3 ships with tools that use the new ABI (wouldn't make much sense to introduce it, otherwise) so some FreeBSD 13.3 binaries won't run on an older kernel.

I also repeatedly stated that jails of version 13.x would be fine - but I relied on iX' statement that they would follow the releng/13 branch and so update their kernel, too. For some reason they decided not to.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
now this my sabnzbd wont start.....what is going on?

The cause could be bad permissions for /mnt/tank/iocage/jails/Sabnzbd/root/usr/l ib
Did you upgrade that, too? To 13.3? Please don't. Upgrade to 13.2 only which runs fine on TN 13.0. Until end of March when it will continue to run but not pkg update, anymore.

Andre Clarke

Dabbler
i did, it was fine until i did a pkg upgrade

sabnzbd does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup
directories (/usr/local/etc/rc.d), or is not executable

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer