Newbie that started with FreeNAS Corral

Status
Not open for further replies.

HJS

Cadet
I've been using a Thecus NAS for years, but the thing was at capacity and one drive was degrading.

When I heard about FreeNAS I decided to have a go at that as a replacement system. About three weeks ago my hardware kit was delivered to my home and to prevent two consecutive learning curves I installed FreeNAS 10 Corral. (yup, I'm a total newbie/n00b/etc)

Thing worked like a charm, so about a week ago I migrated all my data to the FreeNAS system and destroyed the old NAS.

Only today I read this thing about Corral moving out of release, so now I'm lurking to see what steps I need to take to get from my current Corral installation to FreeNAS 9.10.3 when it gets released. I only have a Plex docker running and I'm more than happy if that thing dies. Setting up a docker on my dedicated VM Host server should be trivial anyway. The only things I'm worried about are my data (I have no target for a full backup), data set definitions, share (CIFS and NFS) definitions, permissions and users (for accessing those shares).

Pretty sure that the migration path should not be too difficult, but I haven't read it yet ;-)

Setup is as follows:
Main board: Asus P10S-WS
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1245 v5 (CPU VM Support: Full)
RAM: 64G 2133 ECC DDR-4 (4x 16G)
HDD: 8x Seagate IronWolf 6T, Single RAIDZ2 Volume
Boot from: 2x Mushkin Ventura Ultra 120 GB USB3 drives in mirror
HDD Controllers: Onboard main board
NIC: Onboard main board
FreeNAS: Clean install of Corral 10.0.2 that updated to 10.0.4. Scratching head on how to get down to 9.10.x

Last edited by a moderator:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Plex is an easy fix either via the plugin or (my preferred way) a manual jail install.

Your data will remain safe. You can install 9.10 and import your pool and your data will be there. You'll have to reconfigure some of the other things like shares, notifications, scrubs and smart tests etc but it will all work once you get your pool imported.

Reactions: HJS
Status
Not open for further replies.