Newbie, Setup, Performance, Safety

bacardi8

Explorer
Hi Guys,

First of all, great forum you have here, I'm happy to join in here. I spend some time already to look around and read
some interesting things in the different sections. I'm new to TrueNas so I think and hope that I
can learn and and also get some great suggestions from you guys.

Since I'm new to this, and since I didn't so far find some directly answers to some questions that I have, I would like
to ask you experts here about suggestions.

My Server Hardware :

Case : Fractal Design Define 7

MB : Asus Rog Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

CPU : Ryzen 9 3900X

GPU : Asus Phoenix GTX 1660 Super OC

RAM : 64GB Samsung DDR4 REG/ECC

PSU : Corsair HX750 80+ Platinum

SSD : 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVME 250GB

HDD : 3x WD Red Plus 14TB

The TrueNas server that I'm trying to setup will from the beginning be used as a full media server only.
Means Plex and Emby will be installed to serve the household with audio, video and photos.
Only 1 user account is needed, and transcoding will only be needed in very few cases and very seldom.

Main Target for this is Performance, with "some" safety.

Later on my plan is to backup some cad/cam files, and other work related files,
for this I will then install additional two 4TB SSD's, and create a second user account for that.

Main Target for this is safety pure.

So my question now is, how would a setup for my requests look like..???

My own thinking is as following :

Media Server,

1. Install TrueNas on Samsung 250GB NVME (should I maybe mirror with the second Samsung NVME..??)
2. Create 1 Pool for all media, using the 3 WD Red Plus 14TB (what Raidz..??).
3. Create dataset for all media.
4. Install Plex and Emby and mount both to the media dataset.

Cad/Cam Backup Server,

1. Install two 4TB SSD's
2. Create a pool with these two SSD's in Mirror.
3. Create a new user and backup the files.

I'm very interested in to hear suggestions from you guys, and also to hear if the way I would set it up,
is a good way based on performance and safety.

NugentS

MVP
Assuming TrueNAS Core

Case : Fractal Design Define 7
No comment

MB : Asus Rog Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
This is a gamer board - it should still work though. Not sure about its ECC support with the CPU though - have you checked thoroughly
Network Interface - 1 * Intel I211-AT, 1 * Realtek something or other (yuk) 2.5G LAN
This is where I wave a warning flag. The Intel may not be supported. I cannot find much mention of it - and its certainly not a recommended NIC
Realtek 8125 is surprisingly apparently (maybe) supported but needs some tunables setting to use it.
Reaktek Chippery
YMMV - but be aware that if you get wierd network issues it will be much better to get a "proper" NIC and install that in a PCIe slot - in fact if you come on here complaining about issues the first suggested fix will probably be to get a proper NIC as they are tested and work well.

CPU : Ryzen 9 3900X
Fine - you need to make some BIOS changes - but further searching on the forum should give you the answers.

GPU : Asus Phoenix GTX 1660 Super OC
Fine

Really - will that even work. The specs say it might depending on the CPU
Ram quantity is good though

PSU : Corsair HX750 80+ Platinum
Nice PSU - Tier 1, Good Choice - possibly a bit overpowered - but plenty of room for expansion

SSD : 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVME 250GB
Good

HDD : 3x WD Red Plus 14TB
Good - AND I don't believe they will be SMR at that size - but check carefully. Your only option here is RAIDZ1 for two data +1 parity
You will be able to serve video off this array all day (subject to the NIC not crapping out)

Warning - (and I am not an expert here). Transcoding on Core can be a bit hit and miss. You will need Plex/Emby running in a bhyve VM, not I think a jail - but I may be wrong. Others I hope will chip in here - as I have never done this. Also the 3900X does not have an iGPU which might cause issues if you passthrough the eGPU to the VM. As I said I am not an expert here

Evertb1

Guru
This is a gamer board - it should still work though. Not sure about its ECC support with the CPU though - have you checked thoroughly
According to Asus this motherboard supports ECC memory, depending on the used CPU. However I would want to have confirmation from Asus that the ECC function is really supported. I know that there are comsumer boards out there that can work with ECC memory but still don't support the ECC function. I once had a disccusion (by email) with an Asrock technician with the same question about an Asrock gaming motherboard. He pointed out that I should look within the Asrock Rack series if I wanted the ECC function supported. I known Asus is not Asrock but still I think you should be aware of this possibility.

bacardi8

Explorer
Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for your feedback and comments.

I also read a lot about the Crosshair MB, and I'm also not so sure about how good that is for my needs here, I actually took over this MB and the Ryzen from a friend who cancelled his gaming build, but anyway,
this is not such a big deal, since I'm going to build a gaming rig later on myself and I could then use these parts for that. I could even use the GPU for that too, if not needed for my server.

Network issues would be a nightmare, and that is definitely the last thing I want to face.
I can in between the lines understand on you that I should go for another MB and CPU right..??

So what would you guys suggest me regarding MB and CPU if I'm going to change..???

@ NugentS,

yes you're right, the WD Red Plus 14TB is not SMR, it is CMR.

NugentS

MVP
I think it will work as a NAS. Just be prepared to put a proper 1Gb or 10Gb (or 40/100Gb) NIC in there if you need to.
TrueNAS is a commercial grade product and really likes commercial grade hardware - although lots of people do well on consumer gear. The NIC and HBA are probably the most sensitive things to being the right kit. With what you are planning an HBA is NOT required - so just the NIC is critical.

Given you mention transcoding - then you need a chip with some grunt, but without being silly (or GPU/CPU Passthrough). People seem to do quite well with a slightly older generation Core i3 (8th or 9th gen) which does support ECC and a suitable motherboard. But you don't need ECC (its's just recommended). I don't know (having never tried) how to enable hardware encoding/decoding on a Jail / Container / VM but I suspect you will have a better chance if the CPU has an iGPU and you optionally add an eGPU. Something ought to work then. I also use kit from "breakers" - so refurbed kit rather than new - but I don't know the availability in the Philippines. A refurbished server might be a better option if such is available.

But again - your kit should work with a caveat over the NIC and the ECC support. And if you already have the kit then spin it up and see if it works. If it doesn't then turn it into a gaming machine and look for different CPU/Mainboard etc for the NAS.

bacardi8

Explorer
Hi NugentS,

Thanks again for your feedback.

I've been thinking this over again since yesterday. Maybe it will be better to save my MB and Ryzen for a gaming rig later on.

These parts are still very good for everything else, and at the same time they bring in some question marks regarding being used as server hardware.
Network, Transcoding, ECC question marks, is actually a big and important part of the functionality of a server, so I think these risks will make me sleepless if I continue with this hardware.

It also means new memory (in case my current ECC is not working), and in line with that, these ECC memory would not be the memory to use in a gaming rig. Furthermore a 10gb NIC is 200usd and up. I'm afraid I will end up with "the best of both worlds" and still with a server and a gaming rig
that is not like they should be.

Since this is a question about MB and CPU only, I will replace these parts.

Maybe go for Intel Xeon CPU and AsRock MB

Do you have any specific models of these that you would suggest or recommend..??

Evertb1

Guru
I did not notice before but you apparently own registered (buffered) memory. Before anything else and if you already own the hardware, I would check if the board even want's to boot with it as @NugentS suggested. Buffered memory on a gaming motherboard? For the non ECC memory the board supports only unbuffered memory according to the specs of Asus. If you try please let us know. I am curious.

Evertb1

Guru
But you don't need ECC (its's just recommended).
It's strongly recommended. And why going to the trouble of building a system with ZFS and not going all the way to get the most out of your system when it comes to data security? In your use-case you stated that at some point there will be work related files on it. To me a good reason to be careful with your data. And let's no forget those photos. Are they precious to you?

When I started with the FreeNAS I had a system build with only consumer grade hardware (and not even top notch stuff) and I thought it was running great. That was around the time that iXsystems promoted the re-use of old hardware for the build of a home server. But that is a long time ago. iXsystems does not promote that any longer. And not just because they want to sell mini's.

Anyway the more I was reading on the forum and other sources, the more I became convinced that for some critical parts server grade hardware was the way to go. And that included ECC memory. Yes a system will do a good job without ECC. Until of course the moment you get corruptions were ECC would protect you against. Nobody can tell you when or even if it happens to you. It's up to you to decide what is important and what is in the budget of course.

By the way: Is a sound back-up strategy part of your plans?

bacardi8

Explorer
Hi Evertb 1,

Yes you're probably right, I also read and understand it that way. That's also the reason for my questions here and also the reason why I not feel so comfortable by continuing making my server by using this MB. also with having in mind that I can use this MB for a gaming rig later on.
The only way to find out, is like you say, to try it out.

Now im going to tell you something, so take a good seat
Actually I was told by a person, who has tight contact to some developer from that hardware area, that :

All...I repeat...All... X570 Motherboards supports ECC memory, the functions depends of what kind of CPU.
since these kind of gaming boards are made for the gamers, and not for servers, then there is no selling point in starting to specify all about ECC memory in the specs, since people who making servers will not look at these boards anyway, because a lot other stuff on these boards are not what server people looking for, furthermore
The Ryzen 9 3900X (same as I have) supports ECC memory very well, but this is also not official announced.

I was told exactly like I wrote here, so if this is true or not I don't know, so please don't blame me

I must admit that I would feel more comfortable by getting myself a new MB and CPU for my server.
But anyway, I could try out to boot it up. But by booting up how can we find out if the ECC memory is supported correctly..???

Evertb1

Guru
The Ryzen 9 3900X (same as I have) supports ECC memory very well, but this is also not official announced.
There has been some discussion going on about this generation of Ryzen CPU's and by now a lot of people think they support ECC the correct way. I am one of them. And believe it or not, I have plans to consolidate my file server and my lab server in to one ESXi server with an Ryzen 9 3900X CPU on an Asrock Rack motherboard (X570D4U for example). The Asrock people are very approciable and one of heir technical people assured me by email that the ECC support is OK. Problem is that their motherboards for the AM4 platform only support UDIMM memory (unregistered/unbuffered). So that's not good news if you already own that registered memory. Your best bet then would be another platform and not AM4. By the way if you look at my lab server you will see that it is based on old hardware but it's doing a sterling job. Memory, CPU and motherboard were mine for less then 400 euro say 460 - 470 us dollar. And the 10 cores of the CPU are nothing to sneeze at.

But by booting up how can we find out if the ECC memory is supported correctly.
Yes that's a question more people lik to have an adequat answer to. You might wan to visit this site. But that source is 8 years old.

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
I use Supermicro boards for servers and might even try and use one for my next PC build (having IPMI is just too useful).
X10 (that I use) or I guess X11 would your board of choice (and there is an awful lot of choice) depending on exactly what memory you have

Asrock Rack also give you a lot of choice. I picked an E5-2660V3 (10 Cores 2.6Ghz) as best bang for my buck (err £) on a single socket board based on the price of 2nd hand CPU's from refurbishment companies (more expensive than the cheapest on ebay, but come with a warranty) and then found a board to fit that into). But it depends on whats available in your area as you want to avoid paying too much shipping, customs and duties.

The E5-2660v3 was a list $1445 CPU - but cost me £80 or so.

Evertb1

Guru
I use Supermicro boards
My preferred choice as well. It's a shame that Supermicro only has server motherboards for AMD EPYC and Threadripper. And as far as I know they don't even have workstation motherboards for the AM4 platform. And while a brand like Asus also has server and workstations motherboards they are Intel only also.

bacardi8

Explorer
Hi Guys,

Thanks again for all your inputs.

Supermicro looks very interesting i must say, i never hear about this brand before so thats great.

by looking around in the internet and in different forums I also took a look at the Gigabyte C246M-WU4 (rev. 1.x)
this board also looks interesting for me, with a Xeon CPU, what you guys think about that board..???

bacardi8

Explorer
Here in the Philippines where i live, they actually sell these in a bundle with an I7 CPU at 650USD
see attachment.

Attachments

• Gigabyte.jpg
    Gigabyte.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 131

NugentS

MVP

NugentS

MVP
Yes. If only for one reason - IPMI. Having LightsOut access to a 24*7 machine is worth money IMHO (in particular if you have hidden the machine away because it makes too much noise.
The Gigabyte board seems well specced although it (like lots of others) lies about its PCIe Slots (4*16 in the headline) is actually 1*16(or2*8) and 2*4 and that annoys me. It also doesn't seem to say what Intel Chipsets on the LAN ports. And the PCI slot seems basically useless

Choosing the right M/B seems to be a bit of a minefield and you will have to pick the features you want but my wants would be~:
1. IPMI
2. Intel LAN Chipsets (just be careful which ones)
3. Lots of SATA ports so you don't have to add an HBA (which are normally *8 slots)
4. Either 10Gb on the board or enough PCIe lanes to add 10Gb (again *8 generally) - optional
5. AND in your case the possible requirement to add a graphics card (*8/16)

I suspect that given the number of lanes the CPU has you will have an issue with all 3 addin cards above. The Gigabyte does not have 3*8 PCIe slots available to you.

Its basically a juggling act

bacardi8

Explorer
thats great, thanks a lot NugentS

I will sew if it's possible for me to get that supermicro here.