Can I use a single HBA to handle both TrueNAS OS and HDD Pools well?

testcb00

Dabbler
Currently my TrueNAS is a VM on a Proxmox VE server. I have PCIe Passthrough a 10Gb PCIe Card (for network connection), a M.2. NVMe Intel Optane 16GB (for boot), a LSI HBA (for storage) to the TrueNAS VM.

As I have 10GbE on my server, I am considering to use M.2. NVMe Samsung 970 EVO Plus as a storage drive. However, I do not have spare M.2. slot for the OS drive.

I know that I can install OS on a drive which is on the LSI HBA but I want to know whether this will cause a big drop performance on the storage pool.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I know that I can install OS on a drive which is on the LSI HBA but I want to know whether this will cause a big drop performance on the storage pool.

What are you thinking that the OS does with the boot drive that would cause a "big drop performance"? Typically almost nothing is happening on the boot drive, unless you have the system dataset there, and even that is relatively sleepy.

TrueNAS is a VM on a Proxmox VE server.

You presumably already have some storage worked out for your other VM's. If it hasn't occurred to you (don't fret), you can use a Proxmox virtual disk for your TrueNAS boot device. This is generally safe to do, and given the relatively leisurely access requirements for such a disk, isn't likely to interfere with anything else.