2.5Gb NIC not detecting in 12.0-U4 RTL8125

acidwap

Cadet
Hi all.

New to the community and not very experienced with Truenas but I do have a working system and appreciate any help I can get on the following matter.

So I bought myself one of these Trendnet 2.5g nics which supposedly uses the Realtek RTL8125 chipset according to servethehome.com
NIC -> https://www.trendnet.com/support/support-detail.asp?prod=315_TEG-25GECTX
STH review -> https://www.servethehome.com/trendnet-2-5gbase-t-pcie-adapter-review-teg-25gectx/

And seeing the release notes on 12.0-U4 - I was delighted to find that the Realtek RTL8125 chipset was supported.
https://www.truenas.com/docs/releasenotes/core/12.0u4/

So I was assuming that I install NIC into my build and away it should go... However that's not the case, Truenas isn't detecting the 2.5 NIC as a physical interface when i look in Network - Interfaces, and it isn't listed in the console either when I go to configure Network Interfaces.

Am I missing an extra step here or something that I'm not aware of?

again thanks for any advice given.

Details of my build
  • Asus P8B WS mobo
  • Intel Xeon E3-1245 v2 cpu
  • 24 Gb ECC ram
  • Drives are running through LSI HBA set to IT mode.
  • 2.5g NIC is installed in a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot

phoretis

Cadet
Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller [10ec:8125] (rev 04)
Same problem here. Network card not working Realtek RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller. Detected with lspci -qnn :

Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller [10ec:8125] (rev 04)

But nothing more, missing drivers ? Strange like acidwap said : In the rls 12.0-U4 it should be working
- [NAS-108091] - Realtek RTL8125/RTL 8111 support

Someone could helping us ?

Details of my build
  • MDB-X11SCA-F-O Supermicro
  • Intel Xeon E-2244G cpu
  • 16 Gb ECC ram
  • LSI 9210-8i HBA set to IT mode.
  • SAS Expender HP
  • Realtek 2.5g NIC

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I would point you to the notes in that jira ticket, very specifically the last line:

amezin Aleksandr Mezin added a comment - 19/Apr/21 2:21 AM - edited

It is supported by current realtek-re-kmod https://www.freshports.org/net/realtek-re-kmod/
pfSense now includes it (since 2.5.0): https://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/11079
I've manually installed it on TrueNAS CORE 12.0-U3, RTL8125 works at full speed, haven't noticed any issues, at least for home nas use case (works even in a bridge, with VMs attached to it).
The package is small, and only is used when explicitly enabled through tunables (`if_re_load`, `if_re_name`). So it would be nice if the package was included in TrueNAS.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
That’s just plain weird. Sorry; I don’t think it’s reasonable to announce Realtek driver support only to premise actual drivers being loaded if the user uses the equivalent of a secret handshake.

none of us, to my knowledge, have had to enable our Intel or chelsio NICs using tunables.

acidwap

Cadet
HI, thanks for taking the time to reply everyone... unfortunately i'm really new to this and the Jira ticket as pointed out by @sretalla doesn't mean much to me.

phoretis

Cadet
@sretalla

I'm new with TrueNas. I know i must use "Tunable" There are some field and "`if_re_load`, `if_re_name`. What should I put in each field please ?

sretalla