SOLVED New install - panic reboot hell loop

SteveKB

Dabbler
I just finished my install and now on first boot I'm in a panic loop. Hardware as follows:
  • ASUS Prime Z690M-Plus D4
  • Intel i5-12600K
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2
  • 10Gtek Internal PCI Express SAS/SATA HBA RAID Controller Card, SAS2008 Chip, 8-Port 6Gb/s, Same as SAS 9211-8I
  • 2 x Seagate - BarraCuda 8TB Internal SATA Hard Drive for Desktops
I've installed TrueNas 12.0-U7 on the SSD and it boots to the load screen but crashes/hangs at different times. Sometimes the middleware load hangs it up, sometimes it panics after syncing disks (page fault while running PID 794, which is a python process), sometimes hangs after Alarm clock. It once came all the way up to the menu where I could configure everything, but I rebooted to see if was a fluke (and it was; it panicked again). Troubleshooting steps:
  1. Reseated RAM
  2. Ran memtest (one pass showed no errors...was going to run it longer)
  3. Removed HBA (no drives on it yet)
  4. Disconnected SATA drives
  5. Changed ASUS MultiCore Enhancement from "Auto - Lets BIOS Optimize" to "Disabled - Enforce All limits"
  6. Disabled HD Audio, Bluetooth/Wifi, and Aura
Based on how the system is behaving (crashing at different times), I'm thinking this might be a clocking issue? Is there anything else in the ASUS BIOS I need to tweak? This feels like I'm missing one silly thing.
Any thoughts/suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_1778.JPG
    IMG_1778.JPG
    415.2 KB · Views: 254

Redcoat

MVP
Given what you already did (I assume all at the same time, also assuming that all parts' specs are known compatible) I'd first take the board out of the case and fire it up on the antistatic packing with just the processor and one stick of RAM to eliminate the question of shorts to ground. Then work up from that point.

SteveKB

Dabbler
And to give an update....
I reset the BIOS back to defaults and booted into Safe Mode with Verbose. As it scrolled by I noticed one of the lines indicated "pic: unknown intel cpu"; not sure if it was relevant.

Anyways, the system booted fine and I now have a GUI. Would anyone be able to explain the difference between Safe Mode and Normal Boot? And I guess, more importantly, why the system booted for me?

SteveKB

Dabbler
As mentioned in another thread, the issue was with Alder Lake Efficient Cores. Turn them off and everything works fine (except you have cores turned off :confused:)

stupiddr

Cadet
Hey Steve,

I'm working on a build almost identical to yours.
  • ASUS Prime Z690M-Plus D4
  • Intel i5-12600K
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2
I didn't experience any of the efficient cores issue you mentioned but I specifically opted for the I5 without them.
Anyways, I'm having an issue where non of my drives connected via a pcie sata card show up in the bios or truenas. Only when plugged into the motherboard do they show up.

Did you encounter a similar issue to this or have any advise?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
As mentioned in another thread, the issue was with Alder Lake Efficient Cores. Turn them off and everything works fine (except you have cores turned off :confused:)
It's not called the "cutting edge" because it's smooth and silky, but because it will cut you. You will have to wait for an update for nominal support - and probably more as the bugs are ironed out. This is not a "drop it in without a thought" upgrade, as many previous ones were.d
I'm having an issue where non of my drives connected via a pcie sata card show up in the bios or truenas. Only when plugged into the motherboard do they show up.
The culprit seems clear. I hope the unspecified SATA controller was bought based on more than a wing and a prayer.

SteveKB

Dabbler
Which card? I used a HBA with a SAS2008 chip and it worked surprisingly well. This is what the link in my Amazon order shows...which is weird since I got an internal one:

From everything I've seen, getting a PCIe SATA card is bad. Like, crossing the streams bad...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I mean, it shouldn’t be a surprise that a high-end HBA (even if it is an older model) works well. I prefer to look at the situation as “it’s a disgrace that only LSI/Broadcom/Avago manages to sell HBAs that work”. Shame on Jmicron, Asmedia, Microchip (formerly Adaptec), Highpoint and Marvell. You’d think at least one of them would not bungle it all up…
Good thing PCIe rids us of these middlemen…
We’re still stuck with Broadcom and Microchip, they rule the PCIe switch market.