My system
Cooler master mini itx case
H170 mini ITX
6700k stock heatsink
32gb non ECC 3000mhz ram will be running at 2100mhz due to mobo limitations
Four 5tb Seagate expansion Drives, one 512gb SSD
on board graphics,
1Gigabit direct connection

My plan is to run plex, an app to use as a seedbox to download/upload and a cloud server.

I know I am not running special WD Red drives or ECC ram however most of my data is not critical. I would like to know if I will run into any problems running RAID 5 and how should I set up my SSD? I heard I can use it as a cache drive. Also I have a media sonic 4 bay USB 3.0 HDD expansion bay and would like to use this as a plex drive . Most of my RAID 5 storage will be for seedbox, cloud etc.

Should I run RAID5 or something else? Not really familiar with ZFS and for anyone else who would like to comment about using non ecc is it really a deal killer for FreeNAS and will I run into issues.
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You should not run raid 5 when using zfs. Ideally you let zfs handle the parity not a raid device. With 4 disks the best setup would be raidz2 or mirrors. Your hardware is great for a gaming PC but not a server. It will probably work but make sure you find a thread with someone who has the same motherboard. That external thing will be useless. You should not build a pool in a external USB device, it will cause data loss. SSD for cache will be worthless in your setup. It might even cause things to perform worse.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
Can Windows 2016 server be setup as a file server?

Yes, you can also use OpenMediaVault which is a nice choice or even unRAID.

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
i am curious to know is windows 2016 server have nas type setup ? I am not sure
Any OS can be a NAS (Even vanilla Windows), and you could configure Windows server 2016 to do just that though there is also a Storage version as well. I would recommend OpenMediaVault as you can use desktop parts instead of server parts. I prefer ECC, Xeon, and server motherboard unless you already have those parts from an older gaming rig (not the best idea IMO). I am researching FreeNAS because I need to get a FreeNAS built, but getting the resources extracted is a bit tough.

Unrealcpu

Cadet
Any OS can be a NAS (Even vanilla Windows), and you could configure Windows server 2016 to do just that though there is also a Storage version as well. I would recommend OpenMediaVault as you can use desktop parts instead of server parts. I prefer ECC, Xeon, and server motherboard unless you already have those parts from an older gaming rig (not the best idea IMO). I am researching FreeNAS because I need to get a FreeNAS built, but getting the resources extracted is a bit tough.

I made up my decision for my files. I own three 8 bay media sonic cases usb 3.0 and will use one of them as my primary plex server. Right now the plex server consists of four 8tb drives seagate expansion archive. I know NAS type systems with server parts is a great way to go for backups, and maybe other features like cloud access. I think for my purposes i am pretty satisfied with one drive and 300GB for word,pdf, photos, which i got for free the next 3 years. Since i own plex my media server can be controlled and accessed off my network and my computer hosting plex can be easily managed using remote desktop. I believe remote desktop i can even download and open docs also. My other plan is to use my computer for hosting or running dedicated gaming servers and even eventually setting up network drives. I am not concerned with automatic backups since i plan on using another four 8tb seagate archive drives as basically long term storage of my plex server backups for my 32tb. Since not much changes on those drives, they will be backed up every month or other month depending on how much is written using bit by bit cloning acronis 2017. My other bays will be used for seeding torrents, downloads, backups , VM, and a huge emulation archive which exceeds the space requirements of most home users who have NAS setups.

Since all my hardware is non ecc, non raid type hard drives, WD Green, blues, Archive SMR tech non TLER etc its probably not even worth the risk or to run up another 100+ watts an hour on a free nas box vs. my other desktop running a dedicated seedbox,gaming server to host my files. I would of course be responsible of doing my own backups. Since i have 4 desktops i can easily clone over night four 4-8tb drives for temp backups to put in my closet for long term storage. I guess for my situation for home use a simple 100-150 dollar dual bay synology DSM software would suit me to use for quick access to files or to share out and it would only consume about 15 watts idle. I highly might consider using in the future when prices come down. I will most likely just use WD green or some left over non raid type HDD and run a raid array that mirrors

Also after considering the costs of server hardware and raid class hard drives my return on investment is just not there unless i am running a business.
I figured i would pick some brains on here since most of these forum members seem to be very knowledgeable when it comes to networking , sharing etc. I am very curious to know if Windows 2016 server is worth my time over Windows 10 professional .

IMO
Also i am not impressed with Free nas app list for my needs. Btsync , plex , cloud functions are cool but in the end i think i am better off with a desktop/gaming server and doing my own backups for now. I think if 10GB network cards, routers, etc become standard equipment within the home and comcast doesnt screw people with slow internet and google fiber becomes available which may take years to get here i might be more interested building a home NAS.
Also watching the hard drive market i am not impressed with WD/Seagate overpriced NAS hard drives. I feel like these companies have the technology to easily release 20+TB SSDs for 400 bucks. Either way i feel they have been milking the consumer for the past 3 years with small TB upgrades to their consumer level mechanical HDDs. In the end my data isnt important to justify using RaidZ2 or backing up to another hard drive nightly . I can easily retrieve most of my data from the internet within a few days 300mbps, if a hard drive goes down and can easily monitor all my HDDs health using hard drive sentinel .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.