BUILD Newbie Build - Suggestions/Critiques Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnas

Dabbler
After the BIOS update the Haswell i3-4150 is now working :D It gave me a brief scare after swapping CPUs in that it failed to power on at all. But removing the CMOS battery seemed to clear that up. And I was able to use IPMI to access the BIOS settings. I think the thing I was forgetting was to "push del repeatedly" – I had been holding del down which doesn't work. So now I just need to install the MOBO and drives into the case and I should be good!!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
After the BIOS update the Haswell i3-4150 is now working :D It gave me a brief scare after swapping CPUs in that it failed to power on at all. But removing the CMOS battery seemed to clear that up. And I was able to use IPMI to access the BIOS settings. I think the thing I was forgetting was to "push del repeatedly" – I had been holding del down which doesn't work. So now I just need to install the MOBO and drives into the case and I should be good!!

Excellent, good news!

jnas

Dabbler
OK, everything is cabled up and working. Playing around with RaidZ2, datasets, sharing, etc. Seems great so far!

So folks just need to understand that if they want to use a very new CPU (like i3-4150) with this SuperMicro board, then they need to make sure the board comes with the latest BIOS, or that they have an older CPU with which to flash it.

jnas

Dabbler
Just a few more words on this build. This is my first machine with IPMI and it's really great. No need to use the VGA at all any longer. I can configure the BIOS easily. And I just used the virtual media feature to boot into Memtest86 to stress test the configuration. For $170 it's tough to beat this board!

tmsmith

Dabbler
Thanks for the updates jnas. Glad to hear you got everything up and running. What type of memory did you end up ordering? The original set?

I'm thinking of going with the Xeon E3-1231, which probably will also need the BIOS update. You aren't looking for someone to borrow that CPU are you? :)

jnas

Dabbler
Thanks for the updates jnas. Glad to hear you got everything up and running. What type of memory did you end up ordering? The original set?

I'm thinking of going with the Xeon E3-1231, which probably will also need the BIOS update. You aren't looking for someone to borrow that CPU are you? :)

Yeah, I could lend it out if it would help :)

pschatz100

Guru
Oops! posted in error.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.